DescriptionAfter the great war, the wasteland is inhabited by a wide variety of mutated species... And one force of order and justice: the Brotherhood of Steel. As a new initiate to the Brotherhood, you will undertake different missions to take on Raiders and such as you attempt to protect the fragile respawning of civilization... and discover the new threat to the west...
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel is essentially the combat portion of the original Fallout series, with a new campaign, graphical polish, a set of random encounters, and a world map. The emphasis is on squad tactics and tactical combat, though your characters will grow like in any RPG.
- "辐射战略版：钢铁兄弟会" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "異塵餘生戰略版：鋼鐵兄弟會" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Fallout Tactics: Die stählerne Bruderschaft" -- German title
- "Fallout Tactics: BoS" -- Common informal abbreviation
Part of the Following Groups
- Fallout games
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Gameplay feature: Radiation / Radioactive Poisoning
- Video games turned into board / card games
- Wasteland universe
|Komputer Świat GRY||Dec, 2003||6 out of 6||100|
|Imperium Gier||Oct 10, 2001||9.1 out of 10||91|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Jun, 2001||90|
|GameSpy||Mar 23, 2001||89 out of 100||89|
|Game Watcher||Aug 12, 2003||8.3 out of 10||83|
|PC Games (Germany)||May 04, 2001||79 out of 100||79|
|ActionTrip||Mar 29, 2001||78 out of 100||78|
|GameZone||Apr 19, 2001||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Legendra||Oct 31, 2009||70|
|Game Revolution||Apr, 2001||B-||67|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|never played fallout, start with fallout tactics?||7||Solid Flamingo (1493)
Dec 22, 2007
ArtFallout Tactics did NOT use any of the arts used in previous Fallout games. Interplay was unable to retrieve the archive of previous art on the backup tape. This caused quite a bit of problems for the developer as extra artists had to be hired to redo all the art from scratch.
Corrupt filesFollowing the tradition of "fatal bugs" that have plagued the Fallout series and which prompt you to get a patch right from the start, Fallout Tactics was initially released with some corrupt files in a batch of "bad" CDs that make it literally impossible to play. The only fix for this is to download a 85MB file from the Interplay's FT:BOS site and replace it following a series of precise instructions. That is in addition to the regular bug patches.
DevelopmentMicroForte was contracted by 14 Degrees East to do Fallout Tactics. They caught Interplay's attention when they demoed a game featuring their isometric game engine. Interplay didn't like the game, but liked the engine well enough they suggested MicroForte to do Fallout Tactics instead.
EndingsThere are four different endings, depending on your final choices. Destroy, send someone else, or submit? The last depends on how much karma you got.
ExtrasFallout Tactics had a special bonus mission CD that was available only by pre-ordering the game from Interplay or certain outlets (Amazon, etc).
German versionIn the German version all blood and death animations were removed.
GOG releaseIn December 2013, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics were given away for free on the download distribution platform GOG. This was the last month Interplay had the distribution rights for the games before they went to Bethesda. The games were pulled from GOG on January 01, 2014. They were readded to the catalogue with Bethesda as publisher on August 26, 2015.
PhotoshopIf you try playing Fallout Tactics with Photoshop running, you'll be told Fallout Tactics cannot run "due to Photoshop's evil presence."
ReferencesThe "stinky meat platter" you find in various places throughout the game is probably a nod to Mahlon Smith's "StinkyMeat Project". As of 2001 it was available at http://www.thespark.com/science/stinkymeat/
- The game has many pop-culture references that mentions everything from Diablo (the game) and Everquest (the game) to the movies The Terminator, Die Hard, The Sixth Sense, The Space Race, Pitch Black (the character Riddick makes an appearance) and plenty of things in between.
- Morte from Planescape: Torment, does a little cameo in a special encounter. As you can see in the screenshots section.
Related Web Sites
- Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel (official website)
- Duck and Cover (An extensive Fallout fan site with information on all the Fallout games and the Fallout Bible.)
- Fallout Wastelands - The Vault Dweller's Survival Guide (An excellent unofficial fan site for the Fallout series.)
- No Mutants Allowed (Real Fallout fans never die - they just get a little radioactive after a while! NMA is the most comprehensive unofficial Fallout series site on the internet.)
- The Vault (Wiki based encyclopedia about all things Fallout.)