DescriptionThis flight simulator simulates a real aircraft, the Piper PA-28-181 Archer II. For those with the knowledge, it offers practice with the variables of flight, including the avionics. The Atari ST-release (1986), instead, simulates the Cessna 182RG single engine propeller aircraft and the Gates Learjet 25G twin engine jet.
The game has more features than first generation flight simulators. Pilots are expected to pay attention to small details. SubLOGIC encouraged the players to go to flight stores and purchase flight-training manuals and aeronautical charts to help them understand the variables within the program. The game is oriented toward pilots-in-training, but there are options for laymen too: an easy mode, and a slightly more detailed reality mode. These modes do not require the same level of knowledge.
Flight Simulator II is packaged with a WWI dogfighting game, called WWI Ace. In this game the plane is armed with bombs, machine guns, and a radar screen. The radar screen is anachronistic for a game set in World War I, but it is there to make the gameplay easier.
- "subLOGIC Flight Simulator II" -- In-game title
- "AM-FS2" -- Amiga title
- "A2-FS2" -- Abbreviated Apple II title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
|Zzap!||Commodore 64||Sep, 1985||98 out of 100||98|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||Amiga||1990||90 out of 100||90|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Atari ST||Feb, 1988||9 out of 10||90|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||Atari ST||1990||88 out of 100||88|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Atari ST||Mar, 1987||10 out of 12||83|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||Commodore 64||1990||67 out of 100||67|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Amiga||Nov, 1991||50|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Commodore 64||Nov, 1991||50|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Atari 8-bit||Nov, 1991||50|
|The Video Game Critic||Atari 8-bit||Dec 28, 2002||D-||16|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)
- March 1991 (issue #42) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time in category Simulations (editorial staff choice)
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th Anniversary Issue) - #79 on the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- Happy Computer
- Issue 04/1985 - #5 Best Game in 1984 (Readers' Vote) (Commodore 64, Apple II and Atari 8-bit version)
Related Web Sites
- Flight Simulator History (A thorough timeline and gallery for the subLOGIC/Microsoft Flight Simulator, from 1980-2005.)