Forums > Game Forums > Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord > how to use flopper and activate a scenario disk

unit on 8/1/2007 5:47 PM · Permalink · Report

i can run the master disk ok which allows me to enter the game menu.. but how do i then activate the scenario disk?? (you first have to run wizmast.img then wizscen.img but when i do that, the PC will reset!) what am i doing wrong?

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/1/2007 5:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I strongly suggest you get a SNES rom of Wizardry trilogy. It features a much better graphics and you don't have to bother with awful keyboard controls. I am not sure about MG policy on posting such stuff. But since the title is a definite abandonware here you go:

Since the link served its purpose it's nowhere to be seen now.

unit on 8/1/2007 6:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

i've got it.. it only lets me rape, uhh i mean defeat werdna once.. i forgot to thank you for offering the URL for the snes link ;)

i had the game originally on apple ][ when it first came out and i don't have a PC capable of running my old IBM floppies.. i really love the game :) the vogons/retrograde site reports it works fine? i just need to know what i'm doing wrong?

thanks for your quick reply! i was hoping my plea would not fall into obscurity..

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 8/1/2007 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

i forgot to thank you for offering the URL

However improbable our jobs here would be without kind pirates, my understanding is that we are to at least downplay the warez foundations of our activities in the public forums 8)

unit on 8/1/2007 8:12 PM · Permalink · Report

roger that pseudo.. (will remember this for future reference) on a side issue - is it true that if we own a legit version of a game we can access various ROMS of it? it's my understanding that an owner is able to make 1 copy of any piece of software he/she buys for backup purposes.. (just curious.. you seem like the person to ask if you happen to venture this way again)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 8/1/2007 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

(just curious.. you seem like the person to ask if you happen to venture this way again)

I read all messages in all forums, even extensive conversations on games that bore me to tears 8)

My suspicion is that most schemes for what one is "allowed" to try to get away with are pathetic rationalisations; all the same if you own 50 games and have 50 rom images of those games I think it is eminently unlikely you would ever go to court. If you owned 5 games and had 50 000 images of games... and were distributing them for free to people who didn't own any of them... that might be a different matter. Certainly some rom sites disclaim that their materials are only for the use of legitimate owners, which is a kind of legal ass-covering. I don't know how it would hold up in court but I wouldn't count on it.

unit on 8/2/2007 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

thnx for reply.. had a similar view :)

i've used the img2dsk utility (available at retrograde station site) to convert the img files into floppy disks.. it worked and i am now able to play the game!

HOW TO

format 2 disks as 720k use img2dsk to convert the 2 img files onto 2 disks (wizmast.img and wizscen.img)

uhh... i am able to post info like that aren't i? if this is a violation please just delete it & sorry! ;)

DJP Mom (11333) on 8/2/2007 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Also for future reference, I wouldn't post about anything remotely iffy at Vogons, they'll smack you down hard over there!

unit on 8/3/2007 11:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

i'm hip to this trip ;) just sharing info in the spirit of sharing, not meaning to offend anyone.. the matter is dealt with, so the likelyhood of my never posting in this thred again is pretty good.. a mod can close it?

not likely there's another pathetic scab like me in the world to ever ask this question again.. /slithers out, hehehe ;) (faint homer voice: now that's sarcastic)