1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Bubble Bobble appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled mobile portSometime in the early 2000s, Stephen Ruddy (author of the C64 conversion) attempted to port the game to mobile phones using Java. All 100 levels were copied across, including most of the movement patterns, but the game was never completed. This site has some video of what does exist.
EndingsIf you finished level 99 by killing the enemies you got the bad ending. You had to get the secret key which opened up another 120 or so levels.
ReferencesThough there have been many games based on the Bubble Bobble characters, a game called Chack'n Pop(1984) featured several of the characters and powerups later seen in Bubble Bobble. The main character from that game, Chackn, appears as one of the level designs in Bubble Bobble and also makes cameos in most of the sequels and derivative games.
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
- Computer and Video Games
- May 1988 (Issue #79) - Golden Joystick 1988 Award: Third in category Arcade Game of the Year
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #12 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 – #7 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
- ZZAP! 64
- Newsfield Reader's Awards 1987 - Best Arcade Conversion (readers choice)
- Newsfield Reader's Awards 1987 - Best Platform Game (readers choice)