🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos > win 3.x?

eXo (346) on 2/12/2015 3:57 PM · Permalink · Report

This game is listed as Win 3.x, however I find that highly doubtful. The only cover listed is a white label re-release. I can find no evidence that the game was actually ported to windows, rather it appears it just drops down to dos to run the game. It does not actually run "in windows" as there is no window for the game when run on a win3x machine.

Since it is not actually a 16 bit windows compatible executable file, I contend it should not be listed as Win 3x compatible.

That said, I don't have hard evidence as I don't personally own the white label re-release - I have only seen videos of people supposedly running it (which is where I noticed it had no window). So I wanted to post here to gather consensus\info before submitting any corrections.

vedder (70810) on 2/12/2015 4:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I flagged this in my personal notes a while back as well, but also didn't file a correction because I have no tangible proof.

Rwolf (22826) on 2/12/2015 5:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I do not have a Win3.1 installation to try at the moment, but there is one difference according to the 'readme.eng' file:

quote:

1.3 Mixing sound effects and voice "Lands of Lore PC-CD-ROM" includes code that mixes sound effects and digitized voice. Now you can hear the sword swing as the monsters scream and you'll hear footsteps down the corridor as your characters speak. This is automatically implemented if you install under DOS. The WINDOWS version does not incorporate this code.

end quote.

...also on the CD is a 'Westwood.DLL' which should have a windows use, and it is not included when installing in a DOSbox environment, but it could be something for the demos for other games also included on the CD.

p.s. my version is also a white label release.

edit: I tried an installation under 32bit XP, which worked (the installer used a window), and the game is using DOS shortcuts only. The installer complained (did not like the memory environment) but ran. Westwood.DLL was not found anywhere on the HD after the installation, so I don't know what it's for, still the game uses the CD while running.

Terok Nor (42008) on 2/13/2015 8:05 AM · Permalink · Report

I removed it. The contributor wasn't sure himself, he just went by the requirements label without testing it. I see no real reason to keep it.