Amiga versionThe Amiga version of this game was nicknamed Disk Juggling Simulator by the Amiga community because it came on 11 disks that have to be swapped around whilst playing the game.
DeathYou can actually kill Guybrush! If you wait several minutes after being suspended above the pool of acid, you will be lowered into it.
DevelopmentRon Gilbert did not want to use a CD for this game, because he said it ran very slow and it didn't allow them to do what they wanted. He also believed that the CD wouldn't last for more than a couple of years. However, they were forced to delete six major scenes just for it to fit on five disks. However most of these scenes were not complete so a "director's cut" will never be made.
Big Whoop was never intended to be a large part of the game in the beginning.
German versionDuring development, the German translator Boris Schneider tried to convince Ron Gilbert to change the monkey wrench puzzle because it makes little sense in German. His idea was to switch out the monkey for an Englishman ("Engländer" is about the same idiom as "monkey wrench"). However, Gilbert did not gave in.
iMUSEThis was one of the first games to use the iMUSE sound system.
Insult fightingAs of 2004, Monkey Island 2 is the only game in the main series so far to not include the famous Insult-Swordfighting battle sequences.
- Sometimes in the gambling game, one of the possible prizes is a ticket to the Linguini Brother's Circus. But if you win the ticket and look at it, it'll say The Fettucini Brother's (from The Secret of Monkey Island)
- In this game (as in many Lucasarts games) there are references to other Lucasarts products. For instance, in the antique shop, there is an Indy whip. The voodoo lady and LeChuck have great closeness to Star Wars. And Guybrush hates snakes, like Indiana Jones.
- In the costume shop on Booty Island you can find costumes of two Hanna Barbera characters: Fred Flintstone and Huckleberry Hound.
- There are a lot of books in the Phatt City library, one of them is called "The Majesty of the Sierras" (search the LM drawer). After you receive it from the librarian, take a look at it and Guybrush responds:
Sierras? Majestic? I think not.
- Sam & Max also make an appearance in the game - look for them in the costume shop.
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was so named as a veiled Star Wars reference. The original subtitle of Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi was Revenge of the Jedi.
SalesAs of 2004, Monkey Island 2 is one of the best-selling adventure games ever, having sold over 500,000 copies.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1993 – Best Game of 1992 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/1993 – Best Adventure Game of 1992 (Readers' Vote)
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1992 (Issue #100) – Adventure Game of the Year
- November 1996 (15th Anniversary Issue) - #74 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) –#2 Funniest Computer Game (together with The Secret of Monkey Island)
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1992 – Best Adventure in 1991
Contributed by eric aili (14) on Sep 23, 1999. [revised by : Patrick Bregger (98783)]. -- edit trivia