Less than 200 arcade games needed to reach our current MobyGoal of 1,500 documented arcade titles!

Donkey Kong Country (Game Boy Advance)

3.4
Written by  :  anss (9)
Written on  :  Apr 30, 2005
Platform  :  Game Boy Advance
read more reviews by anss

Summary

Decent port of the SNES classic

The Good

The game has excellent music, even for today, and character movement is spot-on. Add to the fact that the game's level design is very good, varied, and distinct (I never got the feeling that I was playing the same or similar levels over and over again like I do with, say, Sonic) and you got an superb platformer.

The Bad

The graphics is where the port is not quite up to the SNES version (especially backgrounds). While I can understand the saturated sprites to make the game visible, there is no good reason to have flat backgrounds.

The music lacks reverb effects (as in the SNES version), but this is hardly noticeable unless you are listening for it.

The Bottom Line

One of the better platformers you can get your hands on. If I'm to compare it with something, it would be a combination between Mario and Sonic. You got a bit of Sonic's speed and Mario inspired level design. The end result is a game that (IMO) is better than both (Not that I've played every Sonic game in existence).