DOOM (Game Boy Advance)

3.2
Written by  :  phlux (4143)
Written on  :  Dec 01, 2001
Platform  :  Game Boy Advance

read more reviews by phlux

Summary

The perfect shooter for the perfect handheld

The Good

What I liked? Well - I think that this is the best game for the GBA so far. It's the only one that uses the GBA hardware to the max (and sometimes even a bit over the max :). The developers did everything to recreate Doom exactly as it was on PC. The graphic is still blocky (hey, don't tell me that Doom didn't look blocky on PC!) but on PC, I can't even play the game because my PC is simply too fast for it. I get sick because everything moves so fast. On GBA, the original speed is restored so I can be DOOMed again.

The levels are exactly the same as on PC - the game even says "loading" when changing maps. The intermission screens are 100% identical to the PC version, crap, everything is identical! The sound and music isn't only recognizable, but copied 1:1 from the DOS game. Even the overhead map is there, and it's still zoomable! And HA! - they even included brightness control (gamma :) so I can bypass this crappy LCD display's unability to be adjusted!

The controls work exactly like the PC version did, they respond very fast and are precise enough to really enjoy the game.

The Bad

Well, I dislike that it's censored. I am an adult, so I want to decide myself if I want a bloodbath or not. And blood is red, not green as in this game.

I also think that they should have made it possible to save ingame and not only between levels.

The Bottom Line

Whoever liked Doom on the PC and has a GBA should buy this game now! I never thought of playing Doom on a handheld - especcially if this handheld would be from Nintendo. But now I sit here with my GBA and splatter my way through all the mess again - censored or not, it must have been a genius who programmed this conversion.

And, after all - there's an id software logo on the box, so it's a must buy for every shooter fan out there.