Forums > Game Forums > The Lost Vikings > Blizzard released this for free

chirinea (47504) on 5/6/2014 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

You must have an Battle.net account to download the game. They've also released a lite version of Rock N' Roll Racing, with only three tracks (probably due to the rights of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath's music). [source]

Tracy Poff (2093) on 5/6/2014 11:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Just a note: I was able to download these without being logged in to my Battle.net account.

chirinea (47504) on 5/6/2014 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, there's a way to access the download page directly, as pointed out in the source I provided. Anyway, logged in or not logged in, enjoy it!

chirinea (47504) on 5/7/2014 12:33 AM · Permalink · Report

By the way, there are duplicate passwords for the DOS entry, one should be removed.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/7/2014 10:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice. Don't think I finished it back in the day actually.

chirinea (47504) on 5/7/2014 12:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think I did either, I'm working on it now, I'm at level 17.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 5/7/2014 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

It's quite an intriguing basis for a platform-puzzler and I wish we'd seen more games that followed this path.

vedder (70667) on 5/7/2014 3:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Are there enough of these kind of switch-character puzzle games to warrant a group? Only other one I can think of right now is Project Eden, but I'm sure there are more...

chirinea (47504) on 5/7/2014 4:12 PM · Permalink · Report

There's Trine too.

Parf (7873) on 5/7/2014 4:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

For iPhone, there's Shaun the Sheep: Home Sheep Home (1 and 2). Neither is on here yet, I'll add HSH2 if I feel motivated to wrestle with my half broken phone.

vedder (70667) on 5/7/2014 4:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]There's Trine too. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Ah yes, how could I forget Trine, it's basically an ode to Lost Vikings.

Alaka (105740) on 5/7/2014 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Are there enough of these kind of switch-character puzzle games to warrant a group? Only other one I can think of right now is Project Eden, but I'm sure there are more... [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

I suggested a similar group a while ago here. There's some more game suggestions there.

chirinea (47504) on 5/8/2014 12:30 AM · Permalink · Report

I also forgot to mention The Cave! Submit that group already, Alaka!

chirinea (47504) on 12/16/2014 7:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Just found another Mary-Kate & Ashley: Get a Clue!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 5/8/2014 3:04 PM · Permalink · Report

The texture is somewhat different (one shapechanging avatar, closer to Metal Mutant) but I'd like to see more people try out the Ovine By Design remake of the BBC game Imogen, think you folks might dig it.

eXo (346) on 7/28/2014 4:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Are there enough of these kind of switch-character puzzle games to warrant a group? Only other one I can think of right now is Project Eden, but I'm sure there are more... [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

What about Gobliiins, Gobliins 2, Goblins 3, and Three Dirty Dwarves? I'm sure I can find more if I spent a few minutes thinking about it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 7/28/2014 11:09 PM · Permalink · Report

The thing is that the texture is subtly different in an important way between mere puzzlers and puzzle-platformers.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/7/2014 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]I don't think I did either, I'm working on it now, I'm at level 17. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Ugh, that's a nasty one with that ending! Vikings got tired of it :)) Well, so did I! Especially since till there I'm just breezing through and then at the end squash every single time.

chirinea (47504) on 5/7/2014 11:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--] [Q2 --start chirinea wrote--]I don't think I did either, I'm working on it now, I'm at level 17. [/Q2 --end chirinea wrote--]

Ugh, that's a nasty one with that ending! Vikings got tired of it :)) Well, so did I! Especially since till there I'm just breezing through and then at the end squash every single time. [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]But the one with the squashing is the 18 one, isn't it? SPOILER There's a way to avoid the squashing, you can use Baleog to protect the other vikings as they pass by holding his shield up. It's works better for the second moving walkway, though END OF SPOILER

The one that held me for some time was the 16.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/7/2014 11:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope, 17, Erik getting squashed. Already had Olaf (which I assume you meant :p) hold his shield up to protect in some previous levels, no spoiler there, but can't do that in this one. Tried a few more times, still same thing, so meh, another day.

I even forgot what 16 was... The one where Olaf goes an entirely different way and has to glide between those stairs with the dripping poison? Nah, only got me once there. But this one...

chirinea (47504) on 5/8/2014 12:24 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]Nope, 17, Erik getting squashed. Already had Olaf (which I assume you meant :p) hold his shield up to protect in some previous levels, no spoiler there, but can't do that in this one. Tried a few more times, still same thing, so meh, another day.

I even forgot what 16 was... The one where Olaf goes an entirely different way and has to glide between those stairs with the dripping poison? Nah, only got me once there. But this one... [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]Yeah, I meant Olaf (I went back to edit it but you did catch my error). I could pass with them without using Olaf's shield, though it was a lot easier using it (he passes with no problem, the others must run or walk at the same pace he slides on the moving walkway.

Yeah, 16 was that one, but you could send Olaf through the upper way too. I used Erik to get the key through the lower way, the problem was that I couldn't make the last jump (the one only Olaf can do), so I solved it by making Erik go back the way he came from (which was hard also, lots of missed jumps, thus why it took me so long).

This is something nice about this game, usually there's more than one possible solution!

Rola (8486) on 5/8/2014 8:40 AM · Permalink · Report

And to think I've started toying with this old game few days ago... now seeing other people on the forum also playing it at the same time!

Cavalary (11445) on 5/8/2014 12:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Imagine that plenty of people are playing it right now...

Cavalary (11445) on 5/8/2014 2:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh, after finally getting past 17 (that took a lot of tries), 18 was easy once I figured out where what I needed was. Passed those squashies at the end multiple times, going back and forth, no issue with them.

19, on the other hand... I don't have the speed/coordination for 6 keypresses in the right sequence in 2 seconds! Must have tried some 20 times already, usually mess up by the end, may have managed to press the all right keys 2-3 times but too late.

chirinea (47504) on 5/8/2014 7:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]19, on the other hand... I don't have the speed/coordination for 6 keypresses in the right sequence in 2 seconds! Must have tried some 20 times already, usually mess up by the end, may have managed to press the all right keys 2-3 times but too late. [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]Oh, but there's a way of reducing it to 3 keypresses. SPOILER Let Olaf fall and when he's close to the electric beam, turn the magnet on again. Imediatly after doing it, press Ctrl to change to him and then S to make him press the button as he ascends. I kept trying to make it by turning the magnet off, changing to Olaf to press the button, then changing again to Erik to turn the magnet on, but you lose too much time in doing it. END OF SPOLEIR

Cavalary (11445) on 5/8/2014 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, now why didn't I think of that? May have worked better, but it's still quite crazy. Eventually managed it like that (with Baleog in crane though, so it'd only take one switch after the press, Erik'd have taken one before, but two after), just kept trying and pressing whatever till it somehow worked.

Then quite breezed to 23, which was another stumbling block for a while due to those things dropping stuff while trying to negotiate jumps, but eventually just managed that too.

Probably wouldn't go anywhere near a modern game of the sort, but this is... memories and all. And doing a fair bit within the confines of the hardware of the time; now my expectations (for games in general) are much different and puzzles likely wouldn't cut it regardless of how well they're made.

chirinea (47504) on 5/9/2014 3:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I still enjoy puzzle games, the problem with this one is much more the action than the puzzles.

So, I'm stuck at the final level. More specifically, I still can't figure out what to do in Erik's portion of the level. I don't know where the red key is, and if what needs to be done involves something like jumping on the top of the platform where the ladder is attached, I simply can't do that.

Edit: after posting this, I went back to the game and the dialog at the beggining of the level made me suddenly realize what I had to do.

Edit 2: aaaaand it's beaten. Tough games are tough.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/14/2014 2:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Meh, with me playing stuff slowly... 31 is hellish! Actually rather breezed through the candy levels, and quite liked 30, but then this comes along. After a couple of early mix-ups, what to do isn't a problem, but how to manage all of it is. Have to be a few dozen earlier failures, and so far managed to get to the last bit with all 3 alive twice. Neither time got all 3 past that final series of spikes. And it's a pretty long level, so after a late failure I don't feel like starting over right away, just quit, maybe try again in a few hours, if not the next day. May be here for a while.

chirinea (47504) on 5/15/2014 2:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, I had this feeling of "knowing what to do but not being able to" a lot in those last levels. But I don't know, I just couldn't be away from the game for too long. I stopped playing because life demanded it, but I went on doing other things thinking about that last level I wasn't being able to pass.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/15/2014 12:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Eh, managed to get that one at the next good try (3rd or 4th if you also count a few more ending right away with Erik slipping off the bubbles at the start), with heart racing there at the end like I was several minutes into a crazy action scene. Quit again right after that, didn't even try 32 yet.

And no drive to not be away from it here. Thinking, sure, but that's my natural state, heavy "processing" but not actually doing a damn thing. Takes a whole lot of effort to get myself to do anything, and playing a game falls into that as well.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/17/2014 10:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, whoever designed these last levels was a sadist...

33 was rather nice, still some fast bits but more about figuring out what to do, but 34 now, oy! Practice makes right, but there's an increasing amount of time needed to practice each bit, and Erik got zapped a few dozen times by now. Others a couple of times each too. Again, knowing what to do and managing it are darn different. And they need to work together too much to make any headway to be able to take one to the end and at least see all there's to do.

Yeah, definitely not something I'd be playing if not for the nostalgia factor.

EDIT: Seems like it helps to complain here about it :))

chirinea (47504) on 5/17/2014 3:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, I enjoyed the space levels better than the candy ones. And it took me more time to figure what to do than to perform it, at least on 34. Keep it up, Cavalary, beating it was worthwhile for me.

Cavalary (11445) on 5/17/2014 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Nah, died so many times for each bit of 34 there was nothing to figure out when I was making any headway, plenty of time to analyze whatever I could see ahead. 35 on the other hand... Seems oddly easy to do, but can't figure out something in Erik's bit. Actually gave in and looked at that bit in a guide and didn't help at all, so went right back to trying random stuff there till something worked and I finally understood what the guide meant (had actually sort of stumbled upon it while trying randomly before reading too, but didn't quite manage and been trying to replicate it, but didn't know how I did it the first time, was wondering if it was a bug or something). Never knew that was possible. But now can't get the very next bit, since same thing doesn't seem to work again. Hm, more random trying I guess. And at least the other two keys are very straightforward.

As for rewarding, I'm just getting pissed by now.

Cavalary (11445) on 6/2/2014 6:15 PM · Permalink · Report

... and finally. Had given up for a while. Nasty that it skips the whole ending if you press a key, wanted to make a text go faster and... YouTubed it, found the NES version, assume it's the same.

chirinea (47504) on 6/2/2014 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, same happened to me! I beat it again just so I could see the ending, but first I did the same as you did, I saw the ending on Youtube. Yeah, pretty much the same thing. Glad you've beaten it!

Cavalary (11445) on 5/12/2014 12:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of this, since we seem to be adding DOS games that come packaged with DOSBox as Windows editions otherwise, shouldn't this get one too?

Sciere (923797) on 5/12/2014 2:22 PM · Permalink · Report

It's pending.

stormman Jone on 8/2/2014 9:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Now we have MobyGames in source control and we've got over some of the first hurdles, we're interested in community help to [url=http://www.viprunescape.com/]RS Gold[/url] improve the (relatively old) code, which is the main reason why new tech updates are sluggish. Please PM myself if you think you can help - the site uses Perl with a PostgreSQL database.

stormman Jone on 8/2/2014 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I think you may be a [url=http://www.viprunescape.com/]Runescape Gold[/url] bit mistaken about the claims that were made. There are two Webby Awards. 1) The People's Voice Awards. This is something like a popularity contest. The public votes for the website in the category. During the voting the relative votes are displayed until three or four days before final tally is calculated. After that time the academy removes the results page and the number of votes and the relative position is not known until the results are announced.

Patrick Bregger (298416) on 8/2/2014 9:17 AM · Permalink · Report

What a strange spambot you are.

formercontrib (157536) on 8/2/2014 9:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Legitimate successor of Rob Lim...?? At least this bot can produce complete sentences, not only "ugh", "aaaghs", "k"'s andsoon.

Cavalary (11445) on 8/2/2014 10:38 AM · Permalink · Report

So this picks random posts, copies them and inserts a link to what it wants to advertise somewhere inside them? Odd strategy...

But fun how the fact that our forums actually use HTML messes it up anyway.

MrFlibble (18144) on 8/3/2014 6:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]So this picks random posts, copies them and inserts a link to what it wants to advertise somewhere inside them? Odd strategy...

But fun how the fact that our forums actually use HTML messes it up anyway. [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--] This is a rather typical type of spambot. A more sophisticated version of it will run a fragment of another user's post through recursive translation to make it appear like a relevant post made by a non-native speaker who isn't very fluent.

I'm not sure if its failed use of BBCode here prevents search engine crawlers from collecting the actual links and keywords or not though.