Pokémon FireRed Version (Game Boy Advance)

Written by  :  Spag (70)
Written on  :  Sep 22, 2006

read more reviews by Spag

Summary

The perfect remake of one of the greatest games ever!

The Good

FireRed takes the user back to the Pokémon-inhabitated land of Kanto, along with parallel release LeafGreen. I love the graphics, the old Pokémon and espcially the fantastic remake of the Elite Four and the Victory Road. Stuff like that really takes me back to when I played Pokémon Red on the Game Boy, only it's ten times better! Layout, design and style of control system, meny and Kanto is absolutely splendid! All Pokémon sprites, images and cries are also ten times better then the old version. The wireless adapter lets you trade and interfere wirelessly and the help system does what it's supposed to do, and I think it's great. Come to think of it, this really is a must - have for all Pokémon fans!

The Bad

If you're not a Pokémon fan, it's hard to like this game, because it takes a while to understand and get used to. But once you're in it, you're more or less spellbound. However, all the annoying stuff (not lots, of course) has also been forged into this new edition, I think. The annyoing beeping sound when your Pokémon has low health, sounds of cries in your head when searching a grass, the hardness of catching legendary Pokémon, the frustration when in a cave and when you simply don't know what to do next. Luckily, all of these can be avoided using a bit a patience, turning the speaker down and using a walkthrough on the internet.

The Bottom Line

This game is actually a quite advanced adventure RPG that takes the player to many places and grants lots of personal customization. I recommend Pokémon to anyone looking for a gaming experience!