Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival (Game Boy Advance)

Written by  :  Ryu (50)
Written on  :  Nov 25, 2003

read more reviews by Ryu

Summary

a fun, if somewhat lacking port of the arcade classic

The Good

--> Great graphics, it appears that few, if any frames of animation have been cut. Original stages closely match their arcade counterparts. New hand drawn character portraits are very detailed.

--> Practice, Survival and Timed modes add a good deal of replay value to the package

--> All original characters + moves are intact

....in short, just about everything is here with a few exceptions

The Bad

--> a few stages have been modified/removed (ie. Guile's stage - now just a platform with a Harrier jet hovering behind), while some of the stage substitutions are interesting enough, I would have liked all the original stages, and surely the max capacity of a GBA cart would have allowed it.

--> the music has a tinny NES-like sound, and while nice enough, doesn't match the arcade or even SNES versions. Sound effects are low quality but discernible. This is somewhat understandable as I have heard that the GBA CPU can only focus on one thing at a time, so I suppose the music had to take a hit to keep the original graphics intact. Then again, Doom + Doom 2 for the GBA had great graphics and great sound and music, so it makes me wonder if it wasn't merely laziness on the developers' part.

--> 4 button control scheme makes strategic gameplay somewhat difficult

The Bottom Line

If you are a fan of the Street Fighter franchise, or just a fan of 2D fighting games in general, I can hardily recommend this title to you. The graphics, while modified somewhat are very close to their arcade counterparts, and the sound is acceptable. True gamers know that gameplay is what ultimately creates a fun gaming experience, not graphics and sound, and this title is overflowing with fun gameplay. I wish they could have made it arcade perfect, and it is technically possible given the powerful GBA hardware, but as it is, it is still a very good title. Portable SSF2T, what more could any 2D fighter fan want?