New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Donkey Kong Land (Game Boy)

Written by  :  Kartanym (10780)
Written on  :  Aug 20, 2003
Platform  :  Game Boy

read more reviews by Kartanym

Summary

Not a bad attempt to re-create the SNES classic...

The Good

Although based on the SNES title Donkey Kong Country, I liked the fact that Rare created a different type of game instead of a direct port. The new levels (including my personal fav based on a city landscape) are very well designed for the most part, and the boss characters hold a little bit of a challenge compared to the SNES coutnerparts.

Graphically, I found this a mixed bag. Sure, this is a Game Boy game we're talking about, but you can clearly see Rare put in the hard hours to make sure the main characters control, move and look perfect, even without colour. In my mind, it's the most detailed Game Boy game I've ever seen (at least as far as platform games go).

The Bad

There are times where the characters are hard to tell from the backgrounds, which can become a problem when attempting to complete certain challenges. It didn't stop me from playing straight through, but it did become confusing at times.

The sound effects are a little less then expected for such a game. There are some nice renditions of the original score from Donkey Kong Country, but they aren't perfect. And a lack of character sounds doesn't help either. Still, what they were able to achieve on such small a cart should be awarded. It sounds better then a majority of other games on the system.

It's also a pitty that the two player mode was dropped for the Game Boy series. I doubt it would have been possible though.

The Bottom Line

DKL is a fantastic achievement for the Game Boy, keeping in mind the limitations of the system. There are some minor problems that spoil it a little, but I enjoyed every minute.