🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Winter Olympic Games: Lillehammer '94 > European version

Terok Nor (42009) on 9/6/2015 9:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Not sure about the proper policy here. The EU version of this is "Winter Gold". It is the exact same game, with only one difference, but that one is kind of big (or is it?): it has no official IOC license. Of course I only noticed that after typing up a new game entry already, with credits and everything...

So: just add an alternate title to this? Or new entry because of the license difference?

Kabushi (261206) on 9/6/2015 9:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Almost identical situation with this one: http://www.mobygames.com/game/vancouver-2010-official-mobile-game-of-the-olympic-winter-games

It was re-released as Playman Winter Sports without the olympics branding and we have both in the same entry.

Victor Vance (18100) on 9/6/2015 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Another example is "Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!". Like it´s name suggests it features Mike Tyson but the entry includes also "Punch-Out!!" basically the same game but (you might already guess it) without any appearance of him.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 9/6/2015 1:56 PM · Permalink · Report

This sounds like a return of the Taz / Asterix problem.

Trypticon (11024) on 9/6/2015 11:33 AM · Permalink · Report

I was wondering myself if there is a precedent for handling regional license differences. These official VIC-20 Pac-Man ports are two different games, but what is complicating the situation is that the Japanese version was published in the US as well using a different name (Jelly Monsters), because only Atari had the rights there.

Freeman (65099) on 9/6/2015 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not sure what the proper answer is, but if the credits are the same I'd be in favour of adding it to the existing entry and just adding a small comment to the description detailing the missing license. After all, we have both Contra & Probotector together despite all the sprites being changed.

Alaka (106107) on 9/6/2015 6:38 PM · Permalink · Report

If these games are to be documented properly, of course having their own game entries is the correct course of action. However, due to this sites unofficial policy of "path of least resistance" we end up with a lot of game entries lumped together simply because that's the easiest/fastest way to handle these situations.

Be that as it may, its basically useless trying to fight a never ending battle that's going to be a lost cause. I would just edit the game descriptions to reflect the issues at hand in this game entry.

Terok Nor (42009) on 9/7/2015 10:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for your input, everyone. I have decided to add the EU version to this entry, and have already moved some of my pending items over to this one.

I see no real reason to have distinct entries for such a minor difference (at least where the game itself is concerned).