Ikaruga (GameCube)

Written by  :  Exeox (36)
Written on  :  Apr 03, 2004
Platform  :  GameCube

read more reviews by Exeox

Summary

A dieing genre...

The Good

Ikaruga is a new game in a dying genre. Space Invaders has hardly seen the light since the NES and Sega Mega Drive was out. 2D games anymore, just don't cut it. A concept which is highly untrue and ignorant. Ikaruga is a space shooter, to cut it short. You control a ship that can change colour to vary effects in the game, (black and white.) Black makes white enemies easier to kill and vice versa with black, also when you are black you can suck up black bullets, same also with White. When you suck up enough bullets, you can fire a missile and take out ships nearby.

How does it clause into such an amazing game?

Easy, it's so simple. The game is designed for fast paced actions and that delivers. Ikaruga is more of Speed and Reflexes other than true tactical skills. But that is what makes it so fun. Oh, did I mention that there is also a Co-Op mode involved? Packed with speed and powerful graphics to add on to that cutting edge of pure gameplay as well as nice music that fits the scenes brilliantly too.

The Bad

However, it's not all rosy posey. To be honest, this is one of the hardest games I've ever played.(Blink and you die.) Yes, I have Gradius and I have other space shooters and this is still harder than them. The screen is also awkward, you can have a small horizontal screen or a big horrible vertical screen. Also, the game is rather small and it has a distinct lack of a storyline.

The Bottom Line

This game does not compare to anything, simply because nothing has really been done like this before. And, because of it's fast tense gameplay and true originality and inspiration this game is pure brilliance.

A very challenging, but very fun and worthwile game to say the least.