DescriptionAfter crashing on a strange unexplored planet, Captain Olimar must gather the thirty missing parts of his space ship, before his life support runs out in thirty days and he succumbs to the planet hostile atmosphere. Luckily the Pikmin, a plant/insect life form native to the planet, are there to help him. Olimar must gather and lead the Pikmin in this real time strategy game to collect the missing pieces of his ship while combating the planet's strange and sometimes hostile flora and fauna.
The Pikmin come in three varieties with each a special ability. Red Pikmin are immune to fire while blue Pikmin are able to swim and yellow Pikmin can be thrown far. Aside from the story mode there is a Challenge Mode that is unlocked after all the types of Pikmin are discovered in the story mode. The goal in this mode is to grow as many Pikmin as possible in a single day.
- "皮克敏" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Pikumin" -- Japanese title
- "ピクミン" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Nintendo Life||Jan 02, 2006||90|
|Outer Space||Aug 16, 2004||9 out of 10||90|
|GameSpot||Dec 05, 2001||8.9 out of 10||89|
|Armchair Empire, The||Jan 17, 2002||8.8 out of 10||88|
|Nintendo Spin||Apr 25, 2004||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Game Revolution||Dec, 2001||B+||83|
|G4 Tech: Tech TV||Sep 30, 2002||80|
|Bright Hub||Dec 02, 2008||80|
|Silicon-Fusion.com||Jun 20, 2002||80|
|Gameplanet||Aug 16, 2002||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe GameCube version of Pikmin appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DiscAt the start of a day the game dumps the information for that day onto the GameCube's internal memory. Therefore the game-disc can be removed without interrupting gameplay until the day ends.
- Captain Olimar's spaceship is named Dolphin. "Dolphin" was Nintendo's project name for the GameCube.
- If you break down the name of Captain Olimar into component Japanese letters, o-ri-ma, you'll notice it is "Mario" backwards.
- Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
- 2001 - Innovation in Console Gaming Award
- 2001 – Ga,eCube Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Critical Gaming Pikmin Course (The Critical-Gaming Network's first course in their series on Pikmin, a particular focus being paid to RTS design and dynamics (May, 2009).)
- Nintendo (Publishers and owners of the Pikmin franchise, Nintendo.)
- Pikmin.com (Official Pikmin website)