Shadow the Hedgehog (GameCube)

Written by  :  Bob the Stickman (290)
Written on  :  Aug 16, 2010
Platform  :  GameCube
Rating  :  3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars3.17 Stars

read more reviews by Bob the Stickman

Summary

Highly criticised, but very little of it deserving.

The Good

Many people say this game was the beginning of the end for Sonic. Do I agree? Well......no. While it isn't perfect by any means, it is a heck of a lot better than critics say. And I mean a LOT better.

The gameplay feels like Sonic Heroes but you can only play Shadow and you have one partner who you can only control with a 2nd controller. But in ways, it is different. For instance, the guns and vehicles (which I didn't have any problems with). I really don't see why everyone complains about these. I also don't see why everyone wants Sonic to be exactly the same as he was on the Genesis. Same is boring. Sega tried something different, and I think it worked.

The graphics were good (especially the CGI cinematics), but not great. I noticed that the models were too shiny (this isn't as big of a problem on GameCube as it is on the PS2 for some reason), and the lip-sync in gameplay cutscenes is pretty crap, but overall, the graphics were good. (On a side note, the frame rate is MUCH better on GameCube than the PS2.)

The music was very good. It was catchy and fit the area's feel. It could make the game very epic at times.

Now for the big one... the voice acting. I didn't find it terrible like others did. In fact, I think they actually did better than on Sonic X!!! In fact, the only intolerable actress was Charmy's. *Shivers*

The Bad

There are problems like people say. For instance, the story mode is frustrating because you have to go through every stage to get to a boss. It will take you a LONG time to complete the over 300 endings!!! I know, it's madness *hint, hint*! The bosses themselves are annoying.

Also, the cussing, while I didn't mind it, was unnecessary. But people DID freak out a little too much about it (IMO). I mean, the worst word is Damn. That's it. They say hell, but come on.

The AI is really stupid. No matter who's side your on, you will get attacked by everyone. The only way to stop this is to use the Health Cannon. It only works permanently on humans, though.

The 2-p is also really lame and generic. I guess you could have fun, but since a 2nd controller on the GameCube version can control the partner in 1-p mode, it's kind of useless.

The Bottom Line

Overall, this game is FAR too criticised, when in fact it is a decent game. If you aren't a hardcore old, childish Sonic fan and can take some "extremeness", go right on ahead. But only for Gamecube!!!!! I repeat, ONLY FOR GAMECUBE!!!!!!!!