Shadow the Hedgehog (GameCube)

Written by  :  Austin Bruner (5)
Written on  :  Aug 31, 2010
Platform  :  GameCube

read more reviews by Austin Bruner

Summary

Great platform/shooter game; critics are liars!

The Good

The game brings a darker tone to a normally cheesy, boring series. Sonic has never satisfied me until I tried out this game. The addition of guns makes the game a lot more fun, because it adds more combat style to the game than just jumping on enemies' heads (even though you can do that, also). The storyline is also great, and Shadow's voice acting impressed me. The game has perfect replay value; you can play through all the possible stories (over 300), unlock Expert Mode by getting an A rank on every mission, unlock all 10 endings to unlock the final story and beat the main game, and it even has a 2-player battle mode! You can drive vehicles and man turrets, and even though it isn't completely useful, it is so much fun to do so. The controls are good, but maybe this is only because I'm not a Sonic fan and haven't played many previous ones. Plus, Shadow is one of my favorite video game characters.

The Bad

The graphics could have used a bit of work. The intro and some of the cut-scenes looked great, but most of the game looked only about as good as the Dreamcast. The voice acting for everybody BUT Shadow (except Espio) was terrible, especially Tails and Charmy, and that bugged me so much. The game also gets really frustrating at times. I also didn't really like how you couldn't aim some of the weapons. The multiplayer mode doesn't have much to do, although it is still kind of fun, which was a little disappointing. It also is annoying how the characters give you hints all the time for the most obvious things.

The Bottom Line

If you are a huge Sonic fan, rent it first. You may not be used to the somewhat shaky controls and gun-play. However, if you are looking for a somewhat darker platform game or like shoot-'em-up games, then don't look any further. It is a great game with lots of replay value. Some flaws, but those can be overcome.