Worms 3D (GameCube)

3.4
Written by  :  Jon Collins (28)
Written on  :  Jul 23, 2004
Platform  :  GameCube
read more reviews by Jon Collins

Summary

Worms is back, and in 3D!

The Good

Worms 3D is exactly what the title says, the zany fun of Worms (complete with Holy Hand Grenades, Banana Bombs, and Sheep Bombs) combined with one more dimension. This allows for even more strategy in shot placements, unit placements, etc. The game also comes with a random terrain generator which provides an unlimited amount of terrain possibilities. I should also mention that, sticking to its roots, this game features completely destructible environments. Some people may see the multi-player aspect as badly designed, since it is comprised of one controller for all four teams. However, I see it as a plus. I only own 3 controllers (one of which is extremely shoddy) and I don't feel like spending money on more controllers that will only be used when friends come over. Therefore, passing around the Wavebird is easy and cheap for me.

The Bad

With the addition of a third dimension, it is now very difficult placing shots correctly. The learning curve of this game is relatively steep and understanding what weapons are affected by wind and to what degree can take a while. Also, the random terrain generator sometimes sticks your worms in the most inaccessible places (sometimes in the terrain itself!) which can be pretty annoying. Finally, the AI of Worms 3D is also pretty weak and is not much of a threat to any gamer with a basic understanding of simple physics and the Worms universe.

The Bottom Line

Worms 3D is a complex game which is tremendous fun for 4 player deathmatches. Any fan of the Worms series would enjoy this game. With the inclusion of a third dimension, things are trickier but still just as fun. The inclusion of 4-players alternating between one controller is also a welcomed concepts for all of the cheapskates of the world who share the same problems as me. While this game may not appeal to everyone, it is definitely worth trying.