Chakan (Genesis)

3.5
Written by  :  MasterMegid (897)
Written on  :  Mar 24, 2006
Platform  :  Genesis

read more reviews by MasterMegid

Summary

The Forever Man lives....

The Good

Chaken, is a game based on the indie comic hero of the same name. In life Chaken was an arrogant swordsman, whom challenged death himself, in a battle that lasted days, Chaken finally overcame his opponent. His victory was cut short and he was made to serve Death until such a time as his curse ended. Now The Forever Man, must travel into parallel worlds destroying the evil consuming them.

The Graphics in Chaken are pretty good, of course at the time they were more impressive, yet this game has aged fairly well. Some levels like the water realm still are a sight to behold.

The Sound/Music does not fair as well, the game features little music, and the sound effects are nothing new.

The Gameplay helps this game immensely. As Chaken travels the between realms, he will gain new weapons, and magics to use against his foes. Most weapons have two uses, such as breaking down walls. The magic system involves combining elements, fire, earth, water, and air, to create more powerful spells a system similar to that of Light Crusader. The levels involve dispatching foes and plat forming skills. Be warned however, this game is not easy. Those who frustrate easily or are prone to bursts of rage stemming from a game should avoid this one.

The Bad

As for the bad well, I am not usually one to fault a game for being to difficult. A tough game is more enjoyable to me anyway then one that is to easy. But since most would count this as a flaw, I suppose I will too. This game also has no save feature or even a password feature, the save feature is understandable, as few games at the time had one. Yet the absence of a password system is baffling. This game takes time to get through especially with no passwords.

The Bottom Line

I would recommend this game to those who enjoy old-school games. Of the action-adventure-platform, persuasion. But be warned of the difficulty.