New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Dark Castle (Genesis)

1.7
Written by  :  Mango Man (5)
Written on  :  Nov 27, 2011
Platform  :  Genesis

read more reviews by Mango Man

Summary

Not scary, but not cute either. Just horrible.

The Good

For an early Sega Genesis game, the graphics are okay and so is the sound. The AI isn't that bad either, though it has one flaw.

The Bad

Almost everything in this game is bad. As I said above, the AI has one flaw: some of the enemies might take some time to realize you are close to them. But, that's not all. The controls are bad, the main character is a coward in this port of the game that makes goofy sounds and there is only ONE song that plays during the game. Wait, why do I call it a song when it's just one part of "Toccata and Fugue" that loops? Also, the aiming system used to throw rocks at enemies should have been removed from this version. It doesn't work well on a Sega Genesis. Also, if you jump from a high place, the character might stop moving in mid-air for a second or two, and then keep falling, until he collides with the floor and dies. I forgot to mention that, in the game there is a cute-looking dragon. Isn't this game supposed to be scary? Oh well.

The Bottom Line

The only thing that makes this game scary is the fact that it sucks. The Macintosh port is the real deal.