How much time do you spend in each single session when you play games?

Dick Tracy (Genesis)

Dick Tracy Genesis Title screen

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  smelly_fish_fart (6)
Written on  :  Jul 09, 2007
Platform  :  Genesis

read more reviews by smelly_fish_fart

Summary

Shoot first, ask questions later.

The Good

First of all, the graphics are pretty descent so there are no complaints there and they really shine during the enjoyable one-frame comic book style cut-scenes. The music is o.k. but it can get old after playing for a little while. Dick Tracy has got probably one of the more enjoyable 2-D side scrolling shooting interfaces I've played, once you get used to switching from your side-scrolling pistol to your "shoot the background" machine-gun. It gets quite fun as you go crazy with the "Say hello to my little friend!" style machine gunning. Not to mention a great "ahead of it's time" background and scenery destruction. If you get bored of killing off Big Boy's henchmen then you can always go nuts on shooting out windows, blasting hundreds of bullet holes into cars and plenty more gun-toting mayhem.

The Bad

When I switched on Dick Tracy I was looking for some good ol' fashion Detective work, well, you'll find none of that here in this game. It's just another linear side scroller. Another disappointing feature is the bland bonus round - it's fun the first time but gets old really quickly. Probably my biggest beef with this game is the fact that Dick Tracy cannot run. Hurry up Dick, Hurry! But really, it can make the game seem really slow at times. Run, Dick!

The Bottom Line

If you like side-scrollers or old-school shoot-em-ups or even if your into Double Dragon-esque beat'em ups then I would recommend this to you. It's a descent game.