Gaiares (Genesis)

Written by  :  Majestic Lizard (655)
Written on  :  Oct 18, 2006

read more reviews by Majestic Lizard

Summary

One of the greatest 16 bit shooters of all time.

The Good

This game was one of the greatest shooters on the Genesis. Next to Thunder Force 4, it probably is the greatest. It has innovative play mechanics, challenging play, and astonishingly well drawn enemies and level design. I liked this game so much I was arrested for stealing it from Blockbuster video in 1991 (I'm kidding!).

In this game you have a capsule sort of like the one in R-Type accept that you can use it to smash enemy ship or steal their weapons, which are usually awesome powerups. The bosses are very creative and fun to destroy. Very little or no slow down.

This game is not easy. Many people hate it simply because it is so difficult. Its the Ghouls'N Ghosts of shooters difficulty-wise.

The Bad

A bit too hard for younger players. You really need to have an adult mind to be able to concentrate and tactically appraise the best strategies for traversing the later levels.

Graphics can make you a little dizzy.

The Bottom Line

Don't assume other games by Renovation are as good as Gairares. Most of them suck. If you like this then I'd recommend the Thunder Force series and Air Buster.

Don't waste your time with the crappy game, Whip Rush, that Renovation pushed on American consumers. Even renting that game will make you feel like you wasted your money.