Gain Ground (Genesis)

Written by  :  Liam Dowds (51)
Written on  :  May 15, 2005
Platform  :  Genesis
read more reviews by Liam Dowds

Summary

You got ground? No? Let's gain some!

The Good

Well, this is possibly my favourite game ever released onto the Mega Drive. It's the simplicity of the game which is responsible for my love. It's so ridiculously simple, get your guy from the bottom of the screen to the exit or eliminate the enemies in the time limit.

This game is still one of the games that I repeatedly play with my friends. Even those who had no concept of the Mega Drive. It's a classic for it's ability to appeal to those who have only a partial interest in gaming.

I love it for the structure. You start with only the most limited of characters. But can acquire & attain more accomplished marksmen as you go along. Thus expanding the game as you are able to do more as a player. The enemies and levels will become more difficult as you progress but this is only to be expected and the difficulty curve is not one that cannot be vanquished.

I love this game for it's perfect simplicity & great music.

The Bad

I don't like the clipping. But this is an early Mega Drive game so it can be forgiven.

The Bottom Line

Top down shooting, arching, firebombing, spearing, missiling, lasering perfection.