Gods (Genesis)

Visual
Gameplay
Setting
3.4
Written by  :  Alex L (345)
Written on  :  Feb 12, 2018
Platform  :  Genesis

read more reviews by Alex L

Summary

God Like

The Good

This is a nice looking game and has the typical Bitmap Brothers style which is 80s sci-fi meets medieval; think Robocop meets Conan The Barbarian. The Genesis version is also better looking than the SNES version, which has a zoomed in perspective and seems to run less smooth. The game is a puzzle platformer which was a rare thing then and it's still rare now. The puzzles are well implemented usually flick a switch and see what happens, or collecting artefacts to open a locked door.

The Bad

The in-game music while well composed sounds a bit tinny and grated on me after a while. I played it with the sounds off. This music does have it fans so I am putting it down to personal preference, you may like it you may not. However, the sound effects are almost iconic. The main character feels underpowered even with the best weapons and items in the game, the game will often spawn three enemies at you at once even on the early levels. This is a tough game I doubt anybody could complete it with out losing a life, that said power-ups are plentiful and the enemies spawn in the same place every time making it a memory test and a bit easier than random enemy placement. The level design while OK for the time can be a bit confusing. For example I spent 30 minutes trying to find a door which was on a top level.

The Bottom Line

Although an Amiga port, it translates really well to Genesis. The graphics are smart. The game will probably take a first time player four hours or more. The difficulty will put off some gamers, but I think this is a rewarding game, worth persevering with and it has the Bitmap Brothers magic. Playing as a muscular God character in a Roman Gladiator helmet is also pretty cool.