Jewel Master (Genesis)

Written by  :  atrahasis (127)
Written on  :  Mar 03, 2005

read more reviews by atrahasis

Summary

Cool platform, arcade-like, shooter.

The Good

What I really like about this game is that which I know others have expressed dislike towards. It's the core mechanism of having two attacks, one for each hand and each depending on which rings you have on the hand. Some thought this was making a pretty boring game needlessly complex - in a boring way. I, however, think this is the very reason to play the game. The idea as such is really cool and the implementation is, in my opinion really good. It could be said that the imagination as to the effects of the various rings is limited - an objection I wouldn't at all agree with. Furthermore, even though the story isn't present in that high a degree, what's there certainly appeals to me.

The Bad

The AI is perhaps best described as non-existent if you by AI mean Artificial Intelligence. However if you mean not so intelligent but sort of challenging it's there but not always very interesting. The graphics are perhaps not always that exciting either.

The Bottom Line

A pretty classic arcade-like platform adventure. There's nothing really special about it, other than the system of "choosing" weapon and that ::thing:: which I really can't put into words.