Landstalker: Treasure of King Nole (Genesis)

Written by  :  hermitC (8)
Written on  :  Sep 27, 2006
Platform  :  Genesis
read more reviews by hermitC

Summary

Amusing story told in an isometric environment cluttered with puzzles

The Good

The isometric view was a new way (in 1993) to play an action adventure. I don't want to say that Landstalker was the first isometric adventure game for the Genesis console, but it would be possible :) Actually a special controller was available for this game to better handle the isometric movement of Nigel, the main character. What I really liked are the chunky graphic style and the memorable sounds, as well as the story line told throughout the whole game. Also the puzzles are great, especially the riddles in the crypt of Mercator. I have played the game a few months ago (2006) and got addicted to it immediately!

The Bad

The end was very disappointing to me. A short dialog between Nigel and his appendage Friday, followed by the final staff roll. Such a tough game should provide a longer and more satisfying ending. The isometric view often forces you to guess where the next platform is. This drawback can only be overcome by trial and error.

The Bottom Line

When you are an old-school adventure gamer like me and love a high difficulty level Landstalker is a MUST to play. It's worth the time, even in the days of 3D-empowered movie-like blockbuster games. Go and get it!