New MobyGoal! We're aiming for 1,500 well documented Arcade games.

Mortal Kombat (Genesis)

Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4394)
Written on  :  Jun 07, 2002
Platform  :  Genesis
Rating  :  3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars3.75 Stars

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

A classic, but not all that good.

The Good

Mortal Kombat is definitely a hallmark in computer gaming; instead of a game that was something of a breakthrough (digitized actors and unprecedented violence), it turned into a veritable institution, spawning three sequels, two movies, a TV series and more stuff I probably don't even know about.

Basically MK is a solid game: great music, good graphics (plus the digitized actors...), solid gameplay and more easter eggs than you can shake a stick at. I never got addicted to it, but it was certainly great fun for a few hours; plus, the Genesis version is technically excellent and a thoroughly good conversion.

The Bad

It's not that I didn't like the game as such - it was uninspired and the violence was superfluous at times, but it was still a pretty good game. What I can't figure out is why in the hell this thing became so amazingly popular; why it spawned this many sequels and spinoffs; why anyone would actually make a television show out of it?... I just can't figure it out.

The Bottom Line

A solid game that's quite fun for a while. There are better games to spend your money on though.