Moby Poll: What kind of game collector are you?

Mutant League Hockey (Genesis)

4.7
Written by  :  Big John WV (25276)
Written on  :  Aug 16, 2008

read more reviews by Big John WV

Summary

Gretzky, eat your heart out...on second thought, let these guys do it for you.

The Good

Oh, like the football version of this game, this is one of the fun classic, gory, violent games that came along once in a while. When I first heard of this game I look like Homer Simpson staring at a box of doughnuts, including the drool dripping down the side of my mouth.

Like MLF (Mutant League Football), this one had outstanding graphics, now with a smoother look and the music was headbanging good. Even was even made better with the additions of weapons like maces, axes, chainsaws, molotov cocktails along with new traps like cracks in the ice, spikes on the sides of the arena and the Demon Goalie, a huge head of a demon constantly opening and closing his mouth making getting a goal even harder, was something out of a miniature golfer's personal hell.

What can I say, yet another game that had a hell of a lot of good things to it.

The Bad

Well, nothing technically bothered me about this game, the slowdowns from MLF didn't occur here, but the one things that bothered me was the changing of the voices. In MLF, each class had a distinctive class with their own set of voices, even though they are here, in this one they took out supermen and aliens and added aliens and changed the voices (so to speak) for the rest. Just a little thing that bothered me.

And speaking of getting rid of some of MLF's characters, I can understand the aliens since they rolled around like a ball it wouldn't make since for a hockey game, but they could have left the supermen in, they were a personal favorite. Plus like MLF, I wish there could have been an arena editor, yet again, nothing technically wrong, just a personal preference.

The Bottom Line

Well, yet again another great game for the Genesis, it's just a shame that the basketball version never made it. Hopefully soon the Mutant League series will make a resurgence into the next-gen era. But for now, if you ever get a chance to try this game or MLF, give them a whirl, true some may not like these games since they aren't that "realistic", but sometimes realistic isn't always the best thing and these games back then proved it. Classic. Pure classic.