Pirates! Gold (Genesis)

Written by  :  Brian Overby (3)
Written on  :  Jan 29, 2006
Platform  :  Genesis
Rating  :  4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars4.25 Stars

read more reviews by Brian Overby

Summary

I remember it being brand new like it was yesterday!

The Good

Free play! I loved being able to control my own destiny. You're not forced to get on with the game, though you do slow down as you get older. Being able to create my own captain was another high point for me. I'd much rather play any game with a character of my own design than a pre-made one. That coupled with the different time periods assures that you'll never play the same game twice. And I just wanted to thank Eric Olson of Merrimack, NH for introducing me to the game. And Eric! If you're reading this, drop me an e-mail. Class of 96 baby!!!

The Bad

Sailing against the wind. There's nothing worse than a slow moving ship when you're on your way to get the treasure fleet. And yeah the music can be annoying at times. But I haven't played the game in well over ten years and I can still remember it like it was my own life. How can you down a game that does that.

The Bottom Line

Infinite games in one small work of art. "I couldn't put my controller down (for 12 hours straight!)." A must play for would-be pirates and gamers alike. Live a pirate's life, accurately, in the safety of your own living room.