Tecmo, initially a supplier of cleaning equipment and now best known for Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, was founded on this day in 1967!

Ranger X (Genesis)

Written by  :  Star Eater (10)
Written on  :  Mar 07, 2012
read more reviews by Star Eater

Summary

Ranger Xcellent

The Good

I picked up this gem in my 16-bit days before reading any reviews or even having heard of the game. I was purely attracted by the box art and visuals. I was so pleasantly surprised by what I experienced. Jaw droppingly detailed visuals and smooth animation, accompanied by an extraordinary soundtrack and gigantic, fearsome bosses.

Of course, even a stellar audio-visual experience is worth nothing if not accompanied by good gameplay. Fortunately Ranger X delivers on this point as well. The stages are varied and interactive. From breaking down barriers, to smashing the windows of a skyscraper during your ascent. The little details, such as the environments and unique enemies are a sign of the dedication that was put into this game.

The Bad

Far too short. I could have easily played through double the amount of levels and still enjoyed this title, which is testament to its fun factor. It may be a bit too easy for some, but a variable difficulty is there to fix that.

The Bottom Line

One of the many good overlooked games released during the Mega-Drives waning days. Fans of mecha and platforming action should definitely give this a go.