Streets of Rage 3 (Genesis)

Written by  :  MrBee (29)
Written on  :  Mar 01, 2004
Platform  :  Genesis

read more reviews by MrBee

Summary

1994.. The coming of Playstation, The end of Genesis.

The Good

Have you ever sat down and thought.. OK I feel like achieving the near impossible? Yes?! Then try and find a copy of this game and completing it all in the same day!! This game is very hard to find, especially in the U.K! You can find it on the net for about $40+! I have seen it retail for £83!!!! And thats alot for a game! If you aren't wanting to achieve the impossible and are almost maybe getting a copy of your own.. then you have to think to yourself 'do I REALLY want this game?' If you are a Streets of Rage fan the OF COURSE YOU WANT IT!!! It was 8 years before I could play this game after hearing about it. Streets of Rage 2 is an ultimate classic (definitely on the Mega-drive/Genesis top ten!) and I wanted more of the same - THE ULTIMATE SCROLLING BEAT 'EM UP!

Pressing the start button on the title screen gives me the same options and player set up as usual for the series, except one thing... THE most important thing.. THE MUSIC HAD CHANGED!!!!!!!!! What did they do?! I thought ' its ok, maybe the in-game music is like the other games'' I was wrong.. but not disappointed at all! The music (which is one of the main driving points of the series) is a combination Arcade style sounds mixed with Techno,Electro and Eclectic dance. Which basically means that it mixes you along with the rest of the game nicely!

The Bad

Um.. What happened to this being one of the last great games on the Genesis? The game which could define Sega's console for what it achieved?! Well, this game isn't anything special, no big differences. No Adam! You get to play as a kangaroo and not the guy from the very first game?! That wasn't a good idea really (I mean, COME ON! IT'S THE LAST STREETS OF RAGE!!) Well, they DID make the game really hard! OK, maybe thats not such a good thing.. People moaned about the second game being too easy, and now, too hard doesn't work!! What could they of done? I would of liked to see some classic bosses here, a long fight towards the end where you face every boss in the game one by one (like in the first and second game) Some more music would of been great! Adam back in it! A more imaginative fighting system (maybe chose whether to hit with feet first or hands first..)

The Bottom Line

ITS STREETS OF RAGE 3!!! If you loved the second game, then this is a fresh new look on the series, just don' expect much else to be different (Axel's jeans are black now..) All what is different is the kangaroo, Dr Zan robot man, the music, Axel's jeans have gone black and his face is weird, no Max from the second game, no 3-4 player option.. Delete all those, and you got one cracking fighting game! If you haven't played ANY of the series, then you're going to like this ALOT! Even though it's a bit hard.

I think all Streets of Rage fans should write to Sega and beg for another (with classic gameplay and no silly plot or C.G cut-scenes!!) And also, unlock-able Streets of Rage 1, 2+3 for those who can't get a copy! Write to them! If they make it, then the cause was just. :)