Valve development commentary in the game mentions that players seemed to love Dog, so they made him the first thing the player sees at the start of the episode.
Apparently, some citizens enjoyed some of the Breencasts. In the game, one citizen can be heard saying to another; "I don't miss Dr. Breen, but I do miss his show. Remember when he had the jugglers on?". This is possibly a reference to the satirical webcomic Concerned
(the author of Concerned
, however, denies this, believing it to be something of a stretch and citing the absence of jugglers in his strip).
There are changes in some German versions of the game:
- All blood by humans (including German Freeman) and blood which is part of the level design was coloured green
- Almost all enemies instantly disappear after being killed. An exception are some dark parts were burning zombies are used as light source.
- The cries of burning zombies were toned down
- During the part were Alyx finds the first zombine, the corpse she refers to was removed
A detailed list of changes can be found on schnittberichte.com
Information also contributed by
- Games for Windows: The Official Magazine
- March 2007 - #4 Game of the Year 2006
- PC Powerplay (Germany)