DescriptionRevisiting the proto-text adventure Hunt the Wumpus, this game gathers the essential elements -- pursuing a monster through a bat-infested maze of caves -- and casts an existential narrative over what were fundamentally random, arbitrary and amoral actions in the original game. A light-hearted game about killing the foozle takes on new life as the player's text adventure input reveals the story of a champion consigned to a hardscrabble existence reduced to the two elements in the game's title -- a job, wearying and dangerous -- in an unsafe work environment that swallows up men and makes widows of their wives. Wounding the Wumpus is one thing, a trifle that the game throws back in the player's face, but can the player transcend the endless cycle of butchery and emerge out the other end any less a victim than his slain opponents?
- "Hunter, In Darkness: A Cave Crawl" -- Tag-lined title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
The Press Says
There are no rankings for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
- rec.arts.int-fiction competition
- 1999 - #2 in the authors'-vote Miss Congeniality category
- 1999 - #8 overall
- Xyzzy Awards
- 1999 - Best Setting
- 1999 - Best Individual Puzzle
- 1999 - Finalist in the Best Individual NPC category
- 1999 - Finalist in the Best Use of Medium category
Related Web Sites
- Hunter, In Darkness @ Baf's guide to the IF Archive (Free, legal download of the game, including source code and a solution.)
- Play Hunter, In Darkness (Free, legal play of the game from the author's site, through a Java-equipped web browser.)