DescriptionRevisiting the proto-text adventure Hunt the Wumpus, this game gathers the essential elements -- pursuing a monster through a bat-infested maze of caves -- and casts an existential narrative over what were fundamentally random, arbitrary and amoral actions in the original game. A light-hearted game about killing the foozle takes on new life as the player's text adventure input reveals the story of a champion consigned to a hardscrabble existence reduced to the two elements in the game's title -- a job, wearying and dangerous -- in an unsafe work environment that swallows up men and makes widows of their wives. Wounding the Wumpus is one thing, a trifle that the game throws back in the player's face, but can the player transcend the endless cycle of butchery and emerge out the other end any less a victim than his slain opponents?
- "Hunter, In Darkness: A Cave Crawl" -- Tag-lined title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
- rec.arts.int-fiction competition
- 1999 - #2 in the authors'-vote Miss Congeniality category
- 1999 - #8 overall
- Xyzzy Awards
- 1999 - Best Setting
- 1999 - Best Individual Puzzle
- 1999 - Finalist in the Best Individual NPC category
- 1999 - Finalist in the Best Use of Medium category
Related Web Sites
- Hunter, In Darkness @ Baf's guide to the IF Archive (Free, legal download of the game, including source code and a solution.)
- Play Hunter, In Darkness (Free, legal play of the game from the author's site, through a Java-equipped web browser.)