The game is based on a collection of short stories by Harlan Ellison. After the Cold War, the computers of the USA, Russia and China take over the world and wipe out almost the entire human race. The Allied Mastercomputer (called AM) holds the last five humans as prisoners to torture them. Any of them has to face his or her past in a virtual adventure AM has designed for them. There they encounter their fears and weaknesses.
The player can choose which of the protagonists he wants to be but in fact he has to complete all of the six stories in order to solve the game.
There are different ways of completing the game depending on the humanity the player shows.
The voiceacting features Harlan Ellison as AM.
- "Безмолвный Крик " -- Russian spelling
- "No Tengo Boca y Debo Gritar" -- Spanish title
- "Bezmolvnyj Krik" -- Russian title
Part of the Following Group
The Press Says
There are currently no topics for this game.
The original retail box included a 3D mousepad with the box cover image.
German and French version
The German and French versions have been heavily censored, with the Nimdok chapter entirely removed. While it was speculated that Nimdok was absent from the German version because of local anti-nazi laws, it is still not clear why the French version was affected as well. This renders the game unwinnable.
Harlan Ellison, the author of the story the game was based on, sued the developer when he believed that he wasn't getting his share of the profits. It turned out there weren't any.
As of 2001, the short story I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
(which the game was based on) is one of the ten most reprinted stories in the English language.
Information also contributed by
- Computer Gaming World
- June 1996 (Issue #143) – Adventure Game of the Year
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #134 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #3 Top Sleeper Of All Time
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #14 Most Rewarding Ending of All Time