DescriptionThe game is based on a collection of short stories by Harlan Ellison. After the Cold War, the computers of the USA, Russia and China take over the world and wipe out almost the entire human race. The Allied Mastercomputer (called AM) holds the last five humans as prisoners to torture them. Any of them has to face his or her past in a virtual adventure AM has designed for them. There they encounter their fears and weaknesses.
The player can choose which of the protagonists he wants to be but in fact he has to complete all of the six stories in order to solve the game. There are different ways of completing the game depending on the humanity the player shows.
The voiceacting features Harlan Ellison as AM.
- "Безмолвный Крик " -- Russian spelling
- "No Tengo Boca y Debo Gritar" -- Spanish title
- "Bezmolvnyj Krik" -- Russian title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
|Adventure Classic Gaming||DOS||Aug 28, 2010||100|
|PC Gamer||DOS||Jan, 1996||87 out of 100||87|
|Adventure's Planet||DOS||Mar 09, 2006||82 out of 100||82|
|Gamezilla||DOS||Feb 28, 2000||78 out of 100||78|
|La Aventura es la Aventura||DOS||Sep 05, 2006||70 out of 100||70|
|Gamesmania||DOS||1996||70 out of 100||70|
|Adventurearchiv||DOS||Jul 22, 2004||64 out of 100||64|
|Power Play||DOS||Mar, 1996||61 out of 100||61|
|Privat Computer PC||DOS||1996||51 out of 100||51|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ExtrasThe original retail box included a 3D mousepad with the box cover image.
German and French versionThe German and French versions have been heavily censored, with the Nimdok chapter entirely removed. While it was speculated that Nimdok was absent from the German version because of local anti-nazi laws, it is still not clear why the French version was affected as well. This renders the best ending impossible to achieve.
LawsuitHarlan Ellison, the author of the story the game was based on, sued the developer when he believed that he wasn't getting his share of the profits. It turned out there weren't any.
Original storyAs of 2001, the short story I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (which the game was based on) is one of the ten most reprinted stories in the English language.
- Computer Gaming World
- June 1996 (Issue #143) – Adventure Game of the Year
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #134 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #3 Top Sleeper Of All Time
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #14 Most Rewarding Ending of All Time
Related Web Sites
- Crapshoot (A humorous review on PC Gamer)
- FAQs & Guides (posted on GameFaqs.com)
- Game Nostalgia (Provides extensive background info for I have No Mouth, pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, full credits with shots and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, various goodies, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs.)
- Playing this game using DOSBox (This page explains the full details)
- ScummVM (supports I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream under Windows, Macintosh and other platforms.)
- UHS Hile File (The Universal Hint System offers a download of their question & answer format solution guide here.)
- Walkthrough on Gamezilla (Good game guide for solving this game.)