DescriptionIn this historic city-building game by the designers of Pharaoh, set in the ancient Egypt, the focus is on the people who live in the cities. Every character behaves like an intelligent human, with their own wishes and needs. You, as a pharaoh, cannot control them directly, but instead you have to create the conditions that allow them to move up in society. You will need to manage natural resources as well as your people. By building specific structures, you can let your people learn different skills (to become soldiers, farmers, shopkeepers, nobles, priests, craftsmen...). If you are successful, you can construct pyramids, obelisks and monuments to commemorate your own glory.
Expanding power is achieved by conquering neighbouring nations or through diplomacy and trade. This improves your prestige, resulting in more educated workers or advanced structures. Building a mighty empire usually takes many generations of pharaohs of the same dynasty.
The game is played through a full campaign or individually selectable scenarios. A 3D engine (from Empire Earth) with zooming options is used and an editor to create your own maps, scenarios and campaigns has been included.
With the release on Steam in 2008 the game received a massive update, which turned it into the "Enhanced Edition". This included several bugfixes, improved compatibility, new features (like higher resolution support and tweaked controls) and some gameplay additions (like new buildings and shrines).
- "不朽之都：尼罗河的儿女" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Immortal Cities: Los niños del Nilo" -- Spanish title
- "Immortal Cities: Les enfants du Nil" -- French title
- "Immortal Cities: Kinder des Nils" -- German title
- "Immortal Cities: I figli del Nilo" -- Italian title
- "Children of the Nile: Enhanced Edition" -- Steam title
Part of the Following Groups
|Put Tropico, Pharaoh, and The Sims in a blender. Mix on high speed for 45 seconds. Serve chilled.||Afterburner (477)|
|Worth Playing||Nov 10, 2004||8.5 out of 10||85|
|IC-Games||Feb 17, 2005||83 out of 100||83|
|Game Over Online||Jan 31, 2005||82 out of 100||82|
|FileFactory Games / Gameworld Network||Feb 21, 2005||82 out of 100||82|
|Yahoo! Games||Dec 07, 2004||80|
|GameSpot (Belgium/Netherlands)||Feb 03, 2005||75 out of 100||75|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Feb 03, 2005||14 out of 20||70|
|PlayDevil||Mar 21, 2005||70|
|IGROMANIA||Nov 09, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|GameSpy||Nov 04, 2004||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Pre-order bonusIf you pre-ordered the game at EB or GameStop, a limited strategy disc with "behind the scenes" content was given:
- 10 in-depth movies with commentary by key members of the development team
- Full Music Score written by composer Keith Zizza
- Art Gallery of never before seen concept art
- Exclusive Trailer
- Exclusive 2005 Desktop Calendar
- Exclusive Contest: Win a trip to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas
RightsIn early 2008 Tilted Mill Entertainment, Inc.acquired the publishing rights to the Children of the Nile franchise. This let to several re-releases under their label, especially on digital gamestores.
SoundtrackOn December 17th, 2004, the full soundtrack by Keith Zizza was released for free.
Related Web Sites
- Children of the Nile (archived) (Second official website with only general information)
- Children of the Nile Heaven (A detailed fansite containing game information, cheats, a forum, and a downloads section. Part of the HeavenGames network.)
- Immortal Cities (Official website)