DescriptionLo Wang has been working as a Shadow Warrior (a bodyguard and mercenary of sorts) for the powerful Zilla Corporation for years. But when he discovered the evil Zilla's plan to summon monsters from other dimensions and conquer the world, he left in disgust. Realizing that Lo Wang might jeopardize his plans, Zilla sends his assassins after him.
Shadow Warrior is a first-person shooter similar in style and gameplay to Duke Nukem 3D. The game set in a generic "Asialand", which looks like China and Japan conflated together. It features deliberately immature and politically incorrect humor, as well as a protagonist who delivers regular one-liners, commenting upon the situation at hand. Much of the humor is derived from over-the-top, stereotypical portrayals of Asian culture (e.g. scantily clad young women drawn in Japanese anime style).
The player has to complete several levels, fighting enemies and occasionally solving puzzles on the way. Though the game primarily focuses on exploration and combat, puzzle-solving plays a larger role than in most other contemporary shooters. There are also a few sequences that allow the player to drive vehicles, some of which have mounted weapons. Like Duke Nukem 3D, the game's environments are interactive, allowing the player to manipulate or destroy scenery and many objects, often revealing secret areas. On a technical side, the game introduces climbable ladders, true room-over-room situations, and voxels (instead of sprites) for weapons and inventory items.
Enemies include evil ninjas with various weapons, "coolies" which carry a crate of dynamite and blow themselves up when near the player character, female assassins with crossbows, and many more. To combat them, Lo Wang can use a variety of weapons and items. Weapons include: Lo Wang's fists, a katana, shuriken, a riot gun, an Uzi (two of which can be equipped and used at a time), a rocket launcher firing heat-seeking or nuclear missile, a grenade launcher, sticky bombs, a railgun, and even some enemy body parts. Many of these weapons have a secondary firing mode. Lo Wang can also find and use gadgets such as caltrops to leave in the enemies' way, or gas bombs to choke foes who happen to be near it.
There are no iPad screenshots for this game.
There are 29 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "SW" -- Common abbreviation
- "Shadow Warrior Classic" -- Windows Steam title
- "Shadow Warrior 3D" -- Working title
- "Ninja Master" -- Working title
- "Lo Wang is Shadow Warrior" -- Tag-lined title
Part of the Following Groups
- 2.5D Engine: Build
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Game Feature: In-game Screenshot Capture
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Games made into books
- Premier Collection releases
- Shadow Warrior series
- Theme: Ninjas
- Total Entertainment Network (TEN) multiplay platform
- Visual technique / style: Voxel graphics
There are no reviews for the iPad release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Slide to Play||Jan 08, 2013||2 out of 4||50|
|Pocket Magazine / Pockett Videogames||Mar 28, 2013||40|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Intro & Cutscenes?||15||Cor 13 (174144)
May 09, 2010
TriviaShadow Warrior has a feature that wasn't present in any of the other Build games, it supports voxels. Voxels are kind of like 3D pixels (i.e., cubes), and 3D objects constructed out of voxels don't have the ugly, blocky look that polygons give them. Ken Silverman finished a rudimentary voxel engine just in time for Shadow Warrior, and it was added to the game. You can enable voxels in the options menu, and it makes all game objects 3D at the expense of a lot of memory.
Related Web Sites
- Crap Shoot (A humorous review on PC Gamer)
- JonoF's Shadow Warrior Port (A port using Shadow Warrior's source code that adds native Windows and Linux port using a Build engine port, OpenGL rendering support and True-colour textures support. )
- Shadow Warrior (official game page at the 3D Realms website from late 1996, preserved by the Wayback Machine)
- Shadow Warrior - Coming from 3D Realms (game development page at the Apogee/3D Realms website, snapshot preserved by the Wayback Machine)
- Wang's Dojo (One of the most comprehensive Shadow Warrior sites available. Has many Total Conversions (TC's), files, patches, demos, screenshots, tricks, cheats, latest info about the "Shadow Warrior Scene" and tons more!)