Dragon's Lair (iPhone)

Written by  :  VVP (139)
Written on  :  Aug 01, 2010
Platform  :  iPhone

read more reviews by VVP

Summary

An stand alone DVD extra

The Good

The graphics are amazing, even today's standards, yet when we think it was made back in the 1983 it must have been mind blowing to see that detailed graphics especially when only games you saw in the arcade were Donkey Kong and Asteroids. The animation was made by a legendary Disney animator Don Bluth, which gives some more value to the people who grew up with his movies. And the aspect I really like in the game is its humour value, because the game is so campy with is stereo typical setting, slapstick humour and poor game play.

The Bad

The game play elements in this game are, as I said, poor because it is pretty much a QuickTime event after QuickTime event. All you do is push buttons to hope you make right moves. The game has option to use infinite lives and make buttons flash when you have to move that way or use the sword, which pretty much enhances the feelings towards the QTE-impression. These QuickTime events are nearly in every game in these days so it is got old all ready, so do we really need a game based around those (or release an old one utilizing it)? And if you want play this game for it's camp value I recommend the arcade version over the home one, because the home version has additional scenes, which are just mirrored from some of the other scenes, yet like the game isn't tedious all ready!

The Bottom Line

If you want to re-live your childhood memories, enjoy campy thing or just like Quicktime events, check it out, otherwise use your 75 cents to something more worthwhile, like song from iTunes. My bottom-line is it isn't something more than those "games" you can found as extras from some DVD.