King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (DOS)

Written by  :  Jeanne (75627)
Written on  :  Jan 16, 2002

read more reviews by Jeanne

Summary

Ahh ... Romance ... ain't it grand?

The Good

There were 2 years separating this game and its predecessor, King's Quest 5, a game which was criticized by many, even though it was one of the first to introduce a mouse-driven interface. Because of all that criticism, it's no wonder Sierra decided to go "back" to what had been successful in the past - somewhat anyway.

The graphics, as others pointed out, are stunning. I found the music lovely and so very romantic. (We females tend to like mushy love stories, ya know.) I simply adore plots about heroes saving damsels in distress. This hero is handsome and the princess is beautiful. What good looking children they will make! And ... oooh ... the ending - you must see the ~kiss~. I remember getting goosebumps watching it. I was satisfied knowing they would live "happily ever after."

The Bad

I played KQ6 when it was new, so it is hard to remember. I don't recall anything about it I didn't like.

The Bottom Line

If you long for a classic tale of love and honor, this game's for you! This is the last game in the series that retained the original look and feel of the originals. Recommended for adults and children alike, it would make a fine addition to any collection.