missing cover art
DescriptionAge of Empires III is the third installment in the series of real-time strategy games. The main idea of the gameplay remains unchanged: with the limited amount of resources and a handful of settlers, you must think about the expansion of your colony. Besides the strong economic thread, you should also think about the development of your army. Like in the previous games your people start in an early part of humanity's history and progress to new ages (up to the industrial age) with better weapons and other possibilities.
The game offers you a complex single-player campaign that is divided into 24 missions and three acts. You take the role of Morgan Black and his family which struggle against a mysterious European cult. You can also challenge yourself in the multiplayer mode where you can command one of the eight European powers (from French to Russian). A new addition to the game mechanics is the home city in Europe which regularly sends supplies or military reinforcements. It is persistent and after multiplayer successes you gain the ability to upgrade it through a tech tree.
There are no Macintosh user screenshots for this game.
There are 102 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "帝国时代III" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "世紀帝國3" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Rocket" -- Internal development title
- "AoE III" -- Abbreviated title
- "AoE3" -- Common abbreviation
- "Age of Empires 3" -- Informal name
Part of the Following Groups
- Age of Empires series
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Physics Engine: Havok
- Physics Engine: PhysX
- Setting: City - Havana
- Setting: City - Lisbon
- Technology: amBX
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for the Macintosh release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|LudoMac||Dec 28, 2006||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Jan 09, 2007||8.75 out of 10||88|
|Games4Mac||2006||87 out of 100||87|
|MacLife||Sep 25, 2007||80|
|Macworld||Dec 29, 2006||80|
|MacNN||Sep 18, 2007||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
EngineAge of Empires III uses a modified version of the Age of Mythology engine.
Physics engineThe Windows version uses the Havok physics engine. Few modern Mac titles use it because of its licensing fee. MacSoft gutted Havok from the game and substituted it with a significantly less expensive technology called PhysX, developed by AGEIA for its Mac port.
- 2005 – #5 PC Game of the Year
- 2005 – PC RTS of the Year
- 2005 – Best Graphics of the Year (PC)
- GameStar (Germany)
- 2006 - Best PC Strategy Game in 2005 (Readers' Voting)
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2006 - Online Game of the Year
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 04/2006 - #1 Strategy Game in 2005 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/2006 - #3 Strategy Game in 2005
- Puget Sound Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication
- Early January 2007 - Distinguished Award for Technical Writing and Editing (for the manual and quick reference card)
Related Web Sites
- Age of Empires III (Official website)
- Age of Empires III Community Site (Home of the Age of Empires III community)
- MacSoft (Mac developer's product page)
- RTS Reaches the Next Level (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Age of Empires III, with commentary provided by Lead Designer Greg Street (November, 2006).)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.