Dungeons & Dragons
was adapted into a set of two D&D
rulebooks: Diablo II: Diablerie
, published in 2000, and Diablo II: To Hell and Back
, published in 2001, in addition to which a Diablo II set for the Dungeons & Dragons boardgame
was released by Wizards of the Coast
Blizzard itself produced an action figure line, with figures depicting the Barbarian, the Unraveler, and of course, Diablo. They also released a whole stack of merchandise, including Zippo lighters, wristwatches and mouse pads, all in limited edition.
The much rumored and non-existent secret "Cow Level" from the original game was actually added to Diablo II
. It is just a flat plain, populated by bipedal cows, which go "Moo! Moo!" in deadpan human voices. The level also features a boss, "The Cow King", who looks just like all the other cows.
In Act I, the player can enter a portal to the town of Tristram, now destroyed by demons. Some characters from Diablo
can be seen there. Decard Cain and Griswold the Blacksmith are alive; the former will help the player with his quests while the latter is possessed by evil powers. The remains of Wirt the Peg-Legged Boy can also be spotted; his leg allows the player to enter the cow level.
Once in a great while, one of the zombies can be heard uttering "brainsss". This is a reference to the numerous Living Dead
movies, in which zombies hunger for human brains.
Information also contributed by
- Computer and Video Games
- 2005 - #25 "101 Best PC Games Ever"
- 2009 - #7 "Top Video Games of the Decade"
- 2008 - #11 "The 32 Best PC Games"
- 2000 – Special Award for Cut-Scenes
- 2011 – #7 Top PC Game of the 2000s
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 02/2001 - Best Game in 2000
- Issue 02/2001 - Best Multiplayer Game in 2000
- Issue 03/2001 - Best Game in 2000 (Readers' Choice)
- Issue 12/2008 - Special mention in the "10 Coolest Levels" list (for the secret level "The Moo Moo Farm")
- 2009 - Issue 12/2008 - One of "Gaming's Top 10 Easter Eggs" (for the secret level "The Moo Moo Farm")
- PC Gamer
- April 2005 - #16 "50 Best Games of All Time"
- 2007 - #82 "Top 100 Games"
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2001 - Best Online Game in 2000
- 2009 - #49 "Top 100 Games of the Noughties"