Written by  :  Katie Cadet (9348)
Written on  :  Jan 11, 2018
Platform  :  Macintosh

read more reviews by Katie Cadet

Summary

It's just one of those rare special interest games for children!

The Good

While shopping at my local thrift store during the Holiday Season of 2016, I just noticed a very rare CD shipped in a jewel case called "Henry the Hedgehog's Big Adventure". When I opened up the jewel case, it shows that there are both Macintosh and Windows versions on the disc, and looked at the back of the jewel case and out popped a mention of CD-ROM! I brought it home and tested it on my iMac G3 running Mac OS 9.2.1 and it actually runs without any problems! Later testing on a Macintosh was done (on one occasion) on a Performa 6400 and Power Macintosh 7500 running both Mac OS 8.1 before I upgraded them to Mac OS 8.6 and on a Power Mac G4 (MDD 2003) running Mac OS 9.2.2.

Henry the Hedgehog's Big Adventure is all about mutual funds for children in Canada (now that's a special interest!) and includes two games, one is a matching game, and the other is a game where the player moves the piggy bank to collect the coins while avoiding the non-coin items. Also on the disc is an interactive storybook, with clickable surprises and a treasure hunt of objects hidden throughout the pages. (I might've seen other titles that are more common with an interactive book format, but this is one of the rarest I've seen containing that format!)

Also, if looking inside the jewel case would reveal a non-interactive version of the storybook from the printed booklet, not a user's guide of sorts with regular Macintosh and Windows computer games, but something different for a rare title like this! Wow! I didn't know they put a lot of effort in their packaging!

The Bad

On the Windows side, if you have a later version of QuickTime other than the version 4 provided, even when playing on newer equipment, it always asks you to install the version provided on the CD, but instead of installing version 4, the QuickTime installation program warns the user that a newer version is installed, and the game throws up an error message saying that version 4 is needed, and when clicking OK, the game quits without playing the introduction. This issue is not present in the Macintosh version, where you can use any version of QuickTime that you have. This was tested on both an Acer Aspire 5552 running Windows 10 64-bit and on an HP DX5150 SFF running Windows XP SP3.

The Bottom Line

So far, this is one of the extremely rare special interest games centred around mutual funds for children! Henry the Hedgehog's Big Adventure is not just rare, but an extraordinary way of developing promotional games and interactive storybook CD-ROMs here in Canada. I am pretty impressed on how Digital Fusion Multimedia Corporation of Toronto did an overall impressive job of doing a promotional computer game for children! This was in my software collection for a little over a year, and this is a must have!