missing cover art
MythologyHeroes of Might and Magic III made a complete major screw-up in Greek Mythology. This refers particularly to: the Gorgon and the Medusa.
In Heroes, the Gorgon is a fire breathing/death staring Bull from the swamps. In Greek mythology, the only creatures that closely fits this description are the Khalkotauroi. The Khalkotauroi were a pair of fire-breathing bulls forged from bronze by the Smith God Hephaistos as a gift for Aeetes, King of Kolkhis. These bulls were later killed by famous Greek hero Jason, in his quest for the Golden Fleece.
Now the Gorgon in Greek Mythology actually refered to a race known in Heroes as the Medusa. Gorgons are a race of vile creatures that had hair of live snakes, necks covered with scales, they have tusks similiar to of a boar, golden hands and bronze wings. Oh, and they're famous trade mark: anyone looking at them would be turned to stone (due to their extreme ugliness).
Initially there are 3 known Gorgons (other sources say there were more): Stheno, Euryale and their most famous sister: Medusa. Medusa was later killed by the Greek hero - Perseus.
GeniesIf you look really close at the Genies, you will notice they are female (at least, their clothes look female, they appear to have breasts and wear makeup). However, the upgraded Genies (Master Genies) are surely male.
- The cheat codes for the game (without the expansions) are all quotes from the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Have you ever noticed that the music that is played at the end of a week, when certain creatures grow at a higher rate, sounds almost exactly like a jingle that is often played in South Park?
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 03/2000 - Most Addictive Game in 1999
- PC Gamer
- April 2000 - #35 in the " All-Time Top 50 Games" poll
- April 2005 - #25 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list