missing cover art
DescriptionIn the Northern parts of Faerûn the winter never ends. In this harsh realm of ice only a few tough survivors live, and nowadays even those hardy few find the conditions a tad tougher. A party of adventurers has just arrived at the small fishing town of Easthaven. Its leader Hrothgar organizes an expedition to help a troubled nearby tree-village, Kuldahar. The party joins the expedition, but an ambush by frost giants causes an avalanche, killing everyone but the heroes themselves. Now they must continue Hrothgar's quest and discover the source of the evil that threatens the land.
Icewind Dale is a party-based role-playing game with real-time combat, very similar in visual style and basic gameplay mechanics to Baldur's Gate. The game utilizes the second edition of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules. As opposed to Baldur's Gate (and similarly to older AD&D RPGs), the player is free to create a party of up to six characters belonging to various races and classes; no characters inhabiting the game world are able to join the party afterwards. Compared to Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment by the same developers, Icewind Dale is more combat-oriented; it has a linear plot advancement and focuses on extensive exploration of hostile areas rather than conversations with characters and quests.
There are no Macintosh user screenshots for this game.
There are 47 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
There are no promo images for this game
- "冰风之谷" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "冰風之谷" -- Chinese title (traditional)
- "Bingfeng zhi Gu" -- Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
- Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting: Forgotten Realms
- Dungeons & Dragons (D&D / AD&D) licensees
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Fantasy Creatures: Elves
- Gameplay feature: Journal
- Gameplay feature: Paper doll inventory
- Gameplay Feature: Pickpocketing
- Graphics Engine: Infinity Engine
- Icewind Dale series
There are no reviews for the Macintosh release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Apr 08, 2002||8.5 out of 10||85|
|AppleLinks.Com||Apr 19, 2002||80|
|Mac Addict||Aug, 2002||80|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Jul 17, 2002||8 out of 10||80|
|Mac Gamer||Apr 10, 2002||70 out of 100||70|
|JeuxMac.com||Apr, 2002||2 out of 5||40|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter||11||Rwolf (15367)
Apr 28, 2017
Preview versionIn the preview version distributed to gaming magazines the end boss had special dialogue (mostly threats), e.g. "I slaughtered many editors and their families."
SalesIcewind Dale hit the shelves the exact same time as Blizzard's Diablo 2. Despite selling numbers that were below the "Big D", Icewind Dale was a good commercial success.
Related Web Sites
- Hints for Icewind Dale (These hints are designed to give you just what you need without spoiling the game for you.)
- Icewind Dale (The official homepage)
- Icewind Dale: FAQs & Guides (A collection of files that includes full strategies and help for specific character types and more.)
- Mike's Icewind Dale pages (A great resource site for Icewind Dale. Tips, walkthroughs, weapon charts, subquests and much more.)
- Strategy Guide for Icewind Dale (by the Stratos Group)