missing cover art
DescriptionHelp Tomb Raider's famous heroine, Lara Croft, save the world from the forces of evil.
As the game begins, Lara wakes from a stupor. Recalling what she can of the past few hours, she remembers walking in on a killer after discovering the body of Von Croy, her friend and former mentor. She must make a hasty escape from the authorities who blame her for the crime. Determined to discover the fiend responsible, Lara eventually uncovers an evil plot that could cause the destruction of mankind. If the reincarnation of the "angel of darkness" is allowed to happen, the world is doomed!
The game environment is set in the somewhat distant future. You'll lead Lara mostly in 3rd person perspective, travelling to various locales in Europe. Explore sewers, cemeteries, warehouses, factories and cities. A multitude of NPCs will be encountered, both in the form of friend as well as foe.
Angel of Darkness introduces new stealth and close-combat moves - ducking, sneaking and hug-the-walls walking. Lara must build her skills by performing action sequences. You'll have her running, dodging, performing flying leaps and platform jumps, shimming along walls and cables, as well as moving boxes and other obstacles around. Advancements are achieved with strategically placed power-ups. Collect weapons and ammunition, artifacts and money.
You'll also play Kurtis Trent, a new male counterpart, for several "levels". Although Kurtis gets in Lara's way when she first meets him, he eventually becomes an ally when they realize they are both working towards the same goal.
There are no Macintosh user screenshots for this game.
There are 87 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "古墓奇兵：暗黑天使" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "古墓丽影：黑暗天使" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Tomb Raider VI" -- Common name
- "Tomb Raider AoD" -- Common abbreviation
- "Tomb Raider 6" -- Common name
- "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - Ангел Тьмы" -- Russian spelling
- "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - מלאכית האופל" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - L'Ange des Ténèbres" -- French title
- "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - El ángel de la Oscuridad" -- Spanish title
Part of the Following Groups
- PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits releases
- PlayStation 2 Platinum Range releases
- Protagonist: Female
- Tomb Raider series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for the Macintosh release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|NowGamer||Dec, 2003||7.6 out of 10||76|
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Mar 23, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|AppleLinks.Com||Feb 05, 2004||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Copy protectionIf you do a full install of the game, you can play it without needing to have the game CD in your CD drive. The game's readme file even explicitly mentions this. This is an unusual display of trust (or perhaps it's just resignation) in today's copyright paranoid times.
DevelopmentEven though the game was developed by a UK company, it suffered numerous delays and release date changes and was eventually released in the UK after the USA.
German versionIn the German version, all blood effects were removed.
MovieSometimes synergy works, sometimes it doesn't.
When the second Tomb Raider movie had a weak opening at the box office, Paramount studios was quick to point the finger at Angel of Darkness. In an interview with Reuters, Wayne Lewellen (President in charge of Distribution) said:
"The only thing we can attribute that to is that the gamers were not happy with the latest version of the 'Tomb Raider' video game, which is our core audience"
Angel of Darkness came out one month before the movie. Had it been the other way around, perhaps Eidos could have blamed the game's numerous bugs and glitches on the film.
Reception and salesCore planned to release two more Tomb Raider games based on AOD's engine. However due to it's lukewarm response, Eidos halted the production of the next TR game. In fact, Eidos shocked everyone when they announced that future Tomb Raider games will be developed by Crystal Dynamics, which seemed odd as Lara Croft was seen as a British icon.
Even though AOD received alot of bad press it still managed to sell 1 million copies.
On January 13, 2004 Angel of Darkness (PS2) has won the Gold-Award from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 (but less then 200,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- 2003 – Biggest Console Disappointment of the Year (PlayStation 2)
- 2003 – Biggest PC Disappointment of the Year
- 2003 – Car Crash of the Year (PC)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 04/2009 - One of the "10 Most Terrible Sequels" (It omits the challenging jumping sequences but adds stupid level design and introduces useless new features, e.g. the RPG and stealth elements.)
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2004 - #2 Worst Game of the Year 2003
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- January 13, 2004 - Gold Award (more information in the "Reception and sales" section
Related Web Sites
- Angel of Darkness Walkthrough (This walkthrough is featured on The Discworld site)
- Chris van Zyl's Walkthrough (Solution Guide for the PC version)
- Crapshoot (A humorous review on PC Gamer)
- Making of (A making of article by EDGE (2011))
- On Her Own Again (An Apple Games article about the Macintosh version of The Angel of Darkness (December, 2003).)
- Playstation 2 Walkthrough (Solution by Jeff McAllister)
- Stella's Tomb (Good resource site with a full list of the Playstation 2 cheat codes and how to use them.)
- Tomb Raider 4U (Fan Site includes information, faqs, a forum and more about this game and all of the previous Tomb Raiders.)
- Tomb Raider Chronicles (Excellent resource site for files and information about Angel of Darkness.)
- tombraidergirl's walkthrough (Walkthrough of the game along with hints, cheats, and other information.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.