missing cover art
AdvertisementOne of the reasons Magic Carpet didn't sell well was that many gamers thought it was just a ripoff of DOOM, even though they are completely different. Bullfrog unintentionally fostered this idea with a series of ads they ran for Magic Carpet, which contained hooks such as "BFG = BFD". The BFG is DOOM's strongest weapon, and BFD is an acronym for "big f***ing deal".
BugsThe original release of Magic Carpet contained a bug which meant you could not complete level 50. This was later fixed with a patch and was rectified in all re-releases.
EngineMagic Carpet had what was perhaps the best graphics engine of that time. The engine features, among other things:
- Dynamically lighted, gouraud shaded, changable ("morphable") landscape.
- Scene reflections in the water
- Distance fog
- Transparency effects, such as the transparent "HUD".
Missing levelsMagic Carpet does not contain all of the 50 levels described in the manual. The missing levels are: 9, 18, 29, 34 and 40.
References to the GameThe game made several appearances in the Australian soap Neighbours, as the Kennedy family owned it and were frequently seen playing.
- Magic Carpet was one of the first games to support 3D viewers/glasses in many different configurations. You can use virtual reality headsets, red/blue glasses... the program will even generate a realtime random dot stereogram!
- The first game to be enhanced for the then-new Pentium processor (as advertised proudly on the front of the box). Bullfrog recommended a P75 as the minimum system requirement, although the game ran on 486 processors and was playable enough on a 486DX/100.
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #137 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- One of "The top ten games you never played": The reason for the commercial flop of Magic Carpet seems to lie in categorization of games at that time. Most gaming-magazines labeled it at as a plain "shooter" despite the game's interesting and unique gameplay as a mix between action and strategy.
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #53 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1995 - Best Game in 1994
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Game in 1994
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Multiplayer Game in 1994
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Action Game in 1994