Jerry PournelleFamous Sci-Fi novelist and long time technology columnist Jerry Pournelle frequently mention his appreciation for Master of Orion i his Chaos Manor columns. He's often stated its one of his all time favorite games.
ReferencesWhen playing against the Meklars, one of the names for the leader (picked randomly from a pool in the NAMES.LBX file) is TX-1138. Likely a reference to George Lucas's movie THX-1138, which he himself has referred to in little in-jokes throughout the Star Wars movies.
Spaceward Ho!Master of Orion borrows several game elements from Spaceward Ho!.
- Computer Gaming World
- June 1994 (Issue #119) – Strategy Game of the Year
- April 1996 (Issue #141) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #33 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #64 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- PC Gamer
- April 2000 - #37 in the "Readers All-Time Top 50" poll
- October 2001 - #31 in the "Top 60 Games of All Time" list (They go on to credit the game for the creation of the '4X' genre of strategy gaming ('explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate').)
- April 2005 - #44 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
Contributed by Tomer Gabel (4416) on Aug 13, 1999. [revised by : Patrick Bregger (98788)]. -- edit trivia