DescriptionFollowing his successes for the Rebel Alliance in the previous game, the adventures of the starfighter pilot "Rookie One" continue. While out scouting in the Dreighton Nebula, Rookie One's patrols receive a distress call from a freighter. As this is an area where ships are known to disappear, any deviation from the flight path is dangerous. But what they find is an Imperial presence where there shouldn't be one... and a new secret project to bring about the destruction of the Rebel Alliance.
Rebel Assault II is a rail-shooter "interactive movie" featuring a variety of action sequences. Rookie One will fly sequences in an X-Wing, the Millennium Falcon, speeder bikes and being on foot. His only real ability is the precise targeting and shooting of laser weapon and occasionally the chance to take cover and avoid obstacles. Rookie One will team up with other characters who will aid him and need to be defended in turn. Occasionally different paths can be chosen in the animation and different events triggered, but for the most part the game is a closed environment.
There are no Macintosh screenshots for this game.
There are 26 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "絕地大反攻2" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: El Imperio Oculto" -- Spanish title
Part of the Following Groups
- Genre: Rail shooter
- PlayStation Platinum Range releases
- Star Wars licensees
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault series
- Visual technique / style: Live-action cutscenes
There are no reviews for the Macintosh release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Mac Ledge||1996||94 out of 100||94|
|Joystick (French)||Feb, 1996||85 out of 100||85|
|High Score||May, 1996||4 out of 5||80|
|Macworld||Jun, 1996||3.9 out of 10||39|
|Génération 4||Feb, 1996||33|
There are currently no topics for this game.
- The Stormtrooper armors, weapons, helmets and suits (and possibly Vader's costume), worn by the actors, were not made for the game, but are the actual props seen in the original movies, taken from the archive storage of Lucasfilm. The rest was done with CGI
- No set pieces were created for the cockpits. As with everything else, the are CGI. The actors sat on a moving prop element nicknamed the "Rig." It was a blue platform mounted on a large truck inner tube. Four operators (grips) manned the Rig, rocking to and fro on cue from the Director. The actors then had realistic flying movements. The CGI cockpits were matched digitally afterwards.
Easter EggsThere are a lot of easter eggs in Rebel Assault II. For a very comprehensive list of secrets visit Brad Pack's Ultimate Rebel Assault 2 Easter Egg page.
Graphics engineRebel Assault II is the first LucasArts game that used INSANE, a proprietary animation engine. INSANE (Interactive Streaming Animation Engine) greatly compresses moving images so that high quality full-screen videos can be displayed even in hi-res graphics modes on the PC. INSANE was later used in other LucasArts titles such as Full Throttle, The Dig, and The Curse of Monkey Island.
Julie EcclesJulie Eccles, the woman who plays Ru Murleen, can be seen in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure She plays Irene, Indy's secretary.
MilestoneAccording to Lucasarts' old quarterly magazine The Adventurer, Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire was the first media since Return of the Jedi to incorporate live-action actors and footage in the Star Wars universe. Apparently the editors of The Adventurer didn't feel that the "Ewok" movies counted (and by all means they don't, since none of those movies really reference to anything i Star Wars except Ewoks).
- The cloaked TIE Fighters appeared in Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance as well.
- The Super Star Destroyer Terror has been referred to in some books and comic books, and its mysterious mission and purpose slightly alluded to.
Related Web Sites
- Brad Pack's Ultimate Rebel Assault 2 Home Page (This home page will help you beat Rebel Assault 2: The Hidden Empire at ANY level with or without cheating, and will help you discover many secrets you may not have known were in the game. Rebel Assault 2 has probably more easter eggs (programmer secrets), special modes, and spoilers than any other computer game.
-- Brad Pack's own description of his site. )
- Lucas Arts: The Hidden Empire (Official site.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.