missing cover art
Cancelled sequelA sequel was in development at Interplay's division Black Isle Studios, with the code-name Project King, but it was cancelled in 2001.
DevelopmentCounting platform shifts, production and development delays, Stonekeep was almost 7 years in development.
German versionIn the German version, almost all blood was removed.
MuffinsIncluded on the CD-ROM is a file called Muffins.txt. It's a Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffin recipe.
NovelsThe game included a cloth-bound novella entitled Thera Awakening, written by Steve Jackson and David Pulver (you'll notice they were credited in the actual game in the "Special Thanks to" section). Here are the book's credits:
- Layout and Design by Dave Gaines
- Edited by Scott Everts
- Illustrations by Spencer Kipe
- Based on background material by Chris Taylor
Troy Denning wrote a novel called The Oath of Stonekeep that is set in the game's universe. It was published in 1999 and was supposed to take place between events pictured in Stonekeep and its (later cancelled) sequel, a time span of "thousands of years", as the publisher says. There is a clear indication on the book's back cover that the publishers were sure that Stonekeep II will be published for certain. As of 2008, unused books can still be found available for purchase on the internet.
WahookahThe game's infamous "Wahookah Bug" puzzled Interplay's designers up until the end. It was supposed to be fixed in every updated release, but somehow it never quite was. The problem is that Wahookah, an NPC, is supposed to appear each time you arrive at a certain square. You then give him various items in exchange for clues. The following was included in README.TXT with the latest patch to the game from Interplay... they just gave up:
Wahooka on 2nd level of Stonekeep appears only once. The fix for this would invalidate save games so if Wahookah only appears once for you, here are the clues that he gives you:
- Watch out for traps! The Shamans of the Throgs set many of them around here hoping to stick a couple of dwarves.
- Search the sewers below for the keys to the Underlands.
- To succeed in your quest, you must find all nine of the Orbs.
- Computer Gaming World
- June 1996 (Issue #143) – Role-Playing Game of the Year (Readers' Choice)
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #10 Top Vaporware Title in Computer Game History