🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > System Shock > Voices?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/25/2008 5:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Does anyone know how to activate voice-overs when playing the CD version under DOSBox? I have MIDI music and digital sound effects all in place, but for some reason the voices aren't there.

I tried configuring sound card settings in the game's install utility, but as a result the game showed fatal error, I had to re-install it :(

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/25/2008 5:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Here's a completely useless post: I'm seriously thinking about playing this one too, I barely remember anything from the time I played it when it was new --and anyway I do remember I didn't get too far.

It's sort of funny too, since less than a week ago I got my new dual-core-ddr2-and-what-all-not-PC. I'm really gonna put this system through its paces :P

worldwideweird (29) on 3/25/2008 11:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Believe it or not, for "System Shock" CD-version (SVGA) you're gonna really need all that precious processing power of yours. These DOS games hi-res modes are crazy CPU hogs.

worldwideweird (29) on 3/25/2008 11:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Really don't know for sure as it worked perfectly for me when I played it recently (used DOSBox as well). Maybe the DMA/IRQ stuff which is determined in DOSBox.conf doesn't match the DMA/IRQ settings the game is trying to address? Memory settings may also play their part. I had a similar problem once and fiddling around with these things helped. Awkward that you're getting sound though...

I hope you get this to work, "System Shock" is waaaay better with full speech.

Zovni (10504) on 3/31/2008 3:07 AM · Permalink · Report

You sure you have the CD version?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/31/2008 9:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Positive. It won't even run without the CD in the tray. The weird part is that the digital sound effects are all in place. I wouldn't think they required different sound configuration.

xroox (3895) on 4/2/2008 12:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Does it maybe need EMS or XMS memory and DOSbox is currently configured with the wrong type?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2008 6:35 AM · Permalink · Report

I didn't know you could configure DosBOX with those things... Man, this brings back the days of fiddling with autoexec.bat and config.sys files in order to make those damn games run...

xroox (3895) on 4/2/2008 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep, you have to edit your dosbox.conf file - Or you can make a config file for each game. I doubt this is the problem with System Shock, but it's worth a shot.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/2/2008 4:46 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, thanks, I'll try that!

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/3/2008 12:17 PM · Permalink · Report

According to Rasputin's post on SS' DOSBox page, you may have to set voices and music to use different sound cards.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 4/3/2008 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

According to Rasputin's post on SS' DOSBox page, you may have to set voices and music to use different sound cards.

I see... thanks for the link! With so many other games waiting to be played, I don't have time for System Shock, so I haven't tried anything yet... will get to it soon.