DescriptionTeam Fortress Classic is a team-based, multiplayer first-person shooter with nine distinct classes, each with their own abilities and weapons. Most of the matches consist of Capture the Flag-type maps, along with variations such as Assassination/Escort, Territory Control, and more.
Each player is armed with a melee weapon, a couple of firearms and one or two types of grenades. The exact choice of weapons depends on the class chosen. The chosen class also affects walking speed, maximum armor and health, and some special abilities.
The nine classes are:
- Scout - the fastest class, but weakest in combat. The scout is armed with a shotgun, a nail gun and a crowbar, as well as concussion and caltrop grenades. The scout's role is typically to capture the flag and run away quickly while dodging enemy fire.
- Sniper - exactly what it says on the tin, the sniper's role is to stand in one spot and shoot enemies with his sniper rifle. He also has an automatic rifle, a nailgun and a crowbar, as well as hand grenades in case he needs to defend himself.
- Soldier - armed with two shotguns, a crowbar, hand grenades, a nail grenade, and - most importantly - a rocket launcher. The soldier's role is obviously combat, both in offense and defense. He is skilled at making very high "rocket jumps" with his launcher.
- Medic - apart from healing his teammates with a medikit, the medic can also infect enemies with contagious disease. The medic also automatically recovers his hit points. While not much of a fighter, he is armed with two shotguns, a nailgun, and hand and concussion grenades.
- Heavy Weapons Guy - wielding a gigantic chaingun, the HWG is very slow (especially when firing), but has very high offensive ability and is very tough to kill. He's also armed with two shotguns, a crowbar, some hand grenades and a destructive MIRV grenade.
- Demoman - he likes things that go boom, so he wields a destructive grenade launcher, as well as a pipebomb launcher (and also a shotgun, a crowbar and some hand and MIRV grenades). The demoman can also set up high-explosive charges - detpacks, which can destroy certain elements of environment on some maps.
- Pyro - armed with a flamethrower and an incendiary missile launcher (as well as a shotgun, a crowbar and hand and napalm grenades), the pyro's role is to spread chaos and confusion by running around quickly and setting enemies on fire.
- Spy - he has the ability to disguise himself as an enemy teammate, as well as feign death. He's armed with a tranquilizer gun which slows down its targets, a shotgun, a nailgun, a knife (good for backstabs) and some hand and hallucination grenades.
- Engineer - his specialty is building stuff: namely, sentry guns, ammunition dispensers and teleporters. He can also restore his teammates' armor with his wrench (also used for upgrading/repairing his constructions). He also carries a railgun, a shotgun and some hand and EMP grenades.
There are no Macintosh user screenshots for this game.
There are 41 other screenshots on file for other versions of this game.
- "TFC, TF 1.5" -- Common name
- "ハーフライフ: チームフォートレス クラシック" -- Japanese spelling
- "팀 포트리스 클래식" -- Korean title
Part of the Following Groups
There are no reviews for the Macintosh release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesTeam Fortress Classic appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
German versionIn the German version, all blood and gore effects were removed. Additionally all human characters were replaced with robots (only in-game; they are still human in the menus).
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Multiplayer Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Custom TFC (Large site with custom sounds, WADs, sprites as well as a variety of scripts.)
- PlanetFortress (TFC News/Info)
- The Jedi Knights Who Say "Ni" (My personal clan and website)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.